HELP! My chickens have weird, yellow skin patches!

Debbie Holcomb

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
We have 8 Easter Eggers, and noticed that 1 of them had her feathers along the base of her tail all askew. So I looked carefully and saw this strange yellow skin color, that is also a thickened, and in some places a bit scabby. Also, the feathers in that area are broken off and/or growing back. as I examined her more closely, I saw this yellow patchiness in other areas of her body, as well, just not as bad. As I checked our other 7, I saw they had it al over their bodies too, all mostly the worst at the base of the tail. However, these yellow skin patches that make the feathers break, is spreading all over (in large patches) all over their bodies! I bought a Poultry Spray that is an an anti microbial for skin (which is supposed to kill both bacterial and fungal infections). I've been spraying in on these poor chickens for days, to no avail. this stuff just keeps spreading. The yellow skin is not crusty. It does have a few (with 8 birds, I've probably seen 10-15) tiny scabs. With ALL of the picking thru their feathers, to spray this Poultry Spray on 8 birds, I know they don't have mites or lice. In ever other aspect, they are acting like healthy, active chickens (and 1 rooster). I need to know if anyone has any ideas WHAT this "creeping crud" might be? Also, does anyone have ANY IDEAS WHAT I CAN GIVE my sweeties systemically, that can kill this "creeping crud"

Attachments

• IMG_0765[1].JPG
    IMG_0765[1].JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0763[1].JPG
    IMG_0763[1].JPG
    557.5 KB · Views: 107
It just looks like rooster treading and maybe some fighting.
Nothing to be too concerned about, its just their feathers being pulled or plucked.
If it gets to bad just get a hen apron, you can look online for buying or making some.

I just wanted to let you all know that I found the answer. Not to question your knowledge, but I knew it wasn't as simple as "rooster treading" as my rooster is quite the gentleman with his ladies. Plus, this "crud" has been spreading all through my flock, even now onto him! It doesn't reflect like ANYTHING that you all have mentioned in any of your posts, and now has turned into ugly scabs, UNDER the outer feathers, still breaking off the inside feathers. BUT I FINALLY found ONE article about a MANGE that wild birds can get, that CAN BE transmitted to poultry! It is caused by a mite. It causes few outward symptoms (scratching, itching, etc.) thus my birds seem to still act so healthy (no excess preening, still act fine), other than the horrible look of their skin. The article stated that treatment was the same as with any other mite...Ivermectin and treat the coop, as well every 7 days for 2-3 weeks. I'm happy to report that even after only 4 days after the 1st treatment, the yellow skin is starting to flake off and there is healthy, white skin showing underneath! The stabbings is drying up, and I'm seeing a huge improvement in that I see no more spreading of this "creeping crud!!!" But if it weren't for your amazing website, I wouldn't have had a clue as how to treat my flock for the mite infestation, so for that, I am eternally grateful! I have also learned a wealth of knowledge on how to KEEP them from getting infested again, with using natural herbs and such, so that it is less toxic on their system, as well as not having to put them (or me) through this horrible mess again! Thank you, Backyard Chicken!!!

I just wanted to let you all know that I found the answer. Not to question your knowledge, but I knew it wasn't as simple as "rooster treading" as my rooster is quite the gentleman with his ladies. Plus, this "crud" has been spreading all through my flock, even now onto him! It doesn't reflect like ANYTHING that you all have mentioned in any of your posts, and now has turned into ugly scabs, UNDER the outer feathers, still breaking off the inside feathers. BUT I FINALLY found ONE article about a MANGE that wild birds can get, that CAN BE transmitted to poultry! It is caused by a mite. It causes few outward symptoms (scratching, itching, etc.) thus my birds seem to still act so healthy (no excess preening, still act fine), other than the horrible look of their skin. The article stated that treatment was the same as with any other mite...Ivermectin and treat the coop, as well every 7 days for 2-3 weeks. I'm happy to report that even after only 4 days after the 1st treatment, the yellow skin is starting to flake off and there is healthy, white skin showing underneath! The stabbings is drying up, and I'm seeing a huge improvement in that I see no more spreading of this "creeping crud!!!" But if it weren't for your amazing website, I wouldn't have had a clue as how to treat my flock for the mite infestation, so for that, I am eternally grateful! I have also learned a wealth of knowledge on how to KEEP them from getting infested again, with using natural herbs and such, so that it is less toxic on their system, as well as not having to put them (or me) through this horrible mess again! Thank you, Backyard Chicken!!!
Well, I'm sorry that I gave wrong information, it just seemed like that to me with the information you gave.
I'm glad you found what you were looking for and it helped your flock!

The wild birds can carry all kinds of nastiness. My Beyoncé got mycoplasma pneumonia, most likely from one of the sparrows that frequent the coop. I bought some Grandpa John’s treadle feeders and it cut down on the sparrows tremendously. I’m glad you figured out what was making your birds sick. Best of luck for a happy healthy flock!!!

Can you send me detailed instructions on how you treated this?! We are currently dealing with this in our flock!! Fairly new to chickens!

The wild birds can carry all kinds of nastiness. My Beyoncé got mycoplasma pneumonia, most likely from one of the sparrows that frequent the coop. I bought some Grandpa John’s treadle feeders and it cut down on the sparrows tremendously. I’m glad you figured out what was making your birds sick. Best of luck for a happy healthy flock!!!
What is the best way to treat an entire coop?

Back
Top Bottom