Help my chicks are arriving sooner than thought!

Since the chicks aren't vaccinated I strongly suggest a shallow pan or small dish of dirt from where you're going to put the coop. This will expose them to the germs in their world and they'll start building immunity. Also, nutridrench or some electrolytes/vitamins would come in handy for shipped chicks. It can help them recover from shipping stress.

Should they be on medicated food for me to bring the dirt from coop area in? What age if unmedicated/vaccinated can I let them run around in the grass for an hour or so with us there?

Should they be on medicated food for me to bring the dirt from coop area in? What age if unmedicated/vaccinated can I let them run around in the grass for an hour or so with us there?
I'm sorry for the confusion. The exposure to your yard and/or dirt will expose them and their immune systems will develop naturally. It doesn't matter if you give medicated feed or not, I choose not to.

I typically put my chicks outside permanently at 2 or 3 days old so if the weather is nice take them out to play. They'll love it! You might want to pick up some chick grit or regular grit you can smash into smaller pieces. If they get anything but feed they'll need the grit to help grind stuff up in their crops. In my experience chicks like seeds more than greens. Greens become more interesting when they're older but they'll nip pieces of grass to try out.

Somebody on my silkie facebook forum is saying medicated feed can cause wry neck in silkies? Is that true?

As I have a bag of unmedicated, could I feed that for the first week or so while I wait for the order of medicated to ship and then switch or is best to stay on one feed? How long does it take for the medicated feed to start preventing....basicallly how many days after starting it could I let them outside for a bit without as much worry?

Last edited:
Ideally I'd try to keep them on the same feed, provided you're satisfied with it, just so it's easy on their systems. Personally don't use medicated feed but if you'd feel safer with that, it's your call.

As far as what to put under the shavings, to protect the floor, puppy pee pads would be fine in lieu of paper towels. Clean it out when it's dirty enough that you feel it needs it.

The chicks will start hopping/flying high enough to get out of a 20" tall enclosure by about 2 weeks of age. Really best to keep a brooder securely covered with some sort of open ventilated cover (hardware cloth, netting, a window screen) at all times.

You won't need grit until they start eating stuff other than their chick feed, though some of us still give it to them early on regardless.

As far as handling, I'd let them get settled for the first day or two (so minimal handling, only as needed) then after that, a few times a day should be fine, just don't keep the chicks out so long that they get chilled.

Back
Top Bottom