Help my chicks are dying

Candle just in place in the incubator...it works actually almost better than trying to hold them. with shipped eggs the less moving around the better the only way to know if it is a problem with what you are doing is try some LF eggs not heavily colored eggs either like maran or blue . Something you can see better to figure out the issue . May not be anything I will be starting a batch of shipped silkies next week. Saddle air cells often cause a malposition not really anyones fault and results in lower hatch rates... I would also write whoever you bought the silkie eggs from they may have some tricks for you that are breed specific.

I am thinking your humidity might be way to high...I am usually 40 for 1 -18 then 60 for hatching...contact sally sunshine on here she will be able to tell you what is best for bantams or any problem think of every little detail she may be able to find something nobody else can think of.

I would guess its high humidity as well, especially since they're dying after day 18. They're probably drowning in excess moisture in the air cell when they pip.
My Silkies hatch my better under dryer conditions. I keep it around 25-30% the first 18 day and then bump it to around 60-65% at lock down. I also keep track if the air cells development and raise or lower the humidity depending on how big/small they are.

I would guess its high humidity as well, especially since they're dying after day 18. They're probably drowning in excess moisture in the air cell when they pip.
My Silkies hatch my better under dryer conditions. I keep it around 25-30% the first 18 day and then bump it to around 60-65% at lock down. I also keep track if the air cells development and raise or lower the humidity depending on how big/small they are.
x2

I will try lowering the humidity.. I was going by the inc. recommendations but it all seems trial and error. Makes me sad all those babies died and I possibly killed them. :(

It's not your fault, I think we all go through a trial and error phase when incubating. When I first started, I followed the instructions that came with my incubator too. I would have a few eggs hatch out of a dozen or more and figured there had to be a better way. I found a thread about dry incubation, tried it out and haven't looked back since. The first time I hatched dry was the first time I had a 100% hatch rate! Good luck, keep on keepin' on!

So I finally figured out my problem, my humidity was to high so I'm hatching at 52% humidity,99.5 temp for the first 18 days in one cabinet incubator and then 66% humidity, 99.5 temp for the rest of the hatch and all my eggs are hatching awesome.

Back
Top Bottom