Help. My chicks are getting weak and their feet are curling up

Gomez Addams

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Wisconsin
My 2 week old red rangers are dropping. They get lethargic and favor one leg. Their toes start to curl under. I have lost 3 so far and have two more starting these symptoms. they had Merrics vaccine. Time is not on my side here. They eat, poop, I dropper feed extra water since I don't see them drinking. This is my first year with chicks and this batch is not doing well.

2 week chicks should not need to be dropper fed water.

Were you doing the droppers of water before they got sick or only after?

Only thing I can think of is give them some chick saver in their water, maybe there is some nutrient they are not getting?

Dropper water was after they started drooping. After losing 2 I am trying anything to keep them alive.

I had given them Probiotic and will try the the electrolyte in the morning.

Management; good balanced grower diet, heat lamps used correctly. They aren't old enough to be protected by the Merrick's vaccine, but are too young to have symptoms yet. The Purina food recall may not be in your area, but you need to find out. Get a new fresh bag of good feed from a reputable company. Consider sacrificing a couple of the sickest chicks for the state lab to get a diagnosis, if that's possible. So sorry, Mary

Well The problem was found and I am posting so that any other new chicken person can avoid this. I learned the hard way that chicks need a gripping surface, not smooth paper or other smooth surface. My chicks were spraining their ankles and knees. Simple solution that nobody mentioned when I looked for help. Switched to pine shavings and no more trouble. I feel really stupid for my error so pass this on to any other new feathered friends. Nobody mentioned this key piece of knowledge that everybody else seemed to take for granted.

Most chick catelogs mention not to use newspaper or other smooth surface. I've read it here on several threads too. If you had posted a pic maybe someone would have caught that you had them on newspaper. Not a lot of info was given.

Are they better now?

Well The problem was found and I am posting so that any other new chicken person can avoid this. I learned the hard way that chicks need a gripping surface, not smooth paper or other smooth surface. My chicks were spraining their ankles and knees. Simple solution that nobody mentioned when I looked for help. Switched to pine shavings and no more trouble. I feel really stupid for my error so pass this on to any other new feathered friends. Nobody mentioned this key piece of knowledge that everybody else seemed to take for granted.
Where did you find the info? I have said, to be a farmer, you have to be a good detective. Use your resources and if one isn't working right or doesn't pan out, use another. I frequently ask questions here and search Google/other sites. Eventually, I get a good answer. You did the right thing coming here and searching elsewhere for info. I am glad your chicks are getting better. Lesson learned for you and passed on to others.
big_smile.png

Lost a few but no problems since. Quite an ordeal for such a simple bit of info. I got the answer when my supplier called the breeder to ask about it. The newspaper was their first question.

Back
Top Bottom