Help! My chicks fly out and sit on my shoulders...ALREADY!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Not that I'm complaining! I love that they love me! [​IMG] But now they are soooo spoiled that whenever I take the chicken wire top off they fight over who gets cuddled first, and have now taken to actually FLYING at me if I dont pick them up! At only two weeks (today! Happy birthday!) they arent strong enough to get all the way up to me, but they make such an effort! They fly up and land on the edge of the brooder box and wait for a few minutes. Then some get impatient and will hop/fly over to my lap or back or shoulder...whatever is closest to them! Its fun to watch and even funnier when the kids come too and laugh at these partially feathered things trying to battle over who gets a cuddle! I have certainly got a favorite though. My little doll. I really hope she's a hen. PLEASE be a hen I keep telling her. [​IMG] She's the one I hold first and last because she climbs my shirt and snuggles under the crook of my neck and purrs to me and goes to sleep. She'd stay like that for as long as I'd leave her there too. My little biddy doll. She's also the only one to never poo on me! How polite! [​IMG]

2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I wish mine would love me but them again they are about 2 or 3 weeks old and I have only had them since Sunday

3. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Mine are little over two weeks old but do the same thing. Or as soon as I put my hand in the box to grap something, they fight over trying to get to my hand. They love sitting on it. My RIR also has figured out she can sit on top of the feeder and look out. It's pretty funny and really makes my Buff mad that she can't get up there too.

4. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    You are SO lucky! I wish mine did that. I masde it a point to spend lots of time with them from the day I got them, picking each of them up and petting them. But now, only one, a Rhode Island Red, will come up to me to be loved. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

pipit......treats...treats, and more treats...feed them by hand...they know. Mine are a week old, and today, after coming home from fishing, I fed them the left over B Moth worms(maggies) The are soooo cute, seeing them run like a wild hog, when they grab one. Tomorrow, I am getting meal worms...everyone gets one...( i hope) there are 28 chicks! LOL

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    mom, I'm thinking the favorite one might be a pullet,because she wants attention. In a few more weeks when you know for sure let us know.

bigzio

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by