HELP! My Dog Attacked My Chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrak47, Dec 1, 2007.

1. mrak47

mrak47 New Egg

Dec 1, 2007
    My Chihuahua, Bit My Chicken through the fence and pulled off 50% of the skin from the neck to the chest. There is not enough skin left to stitch the wound closed, however I have cleaned the wound, cut back the feathers to help avoid infection, and placed neosporin on the wound... Is there anything else I can do for this chicken, besides put it out of its mistery? The chicken is only 3 months old, it happened 2 days ago, and is eating and drinking fine. It just has an open wound on and around its neck area. Please help!

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that's terrible. it reached through the fence and caught it? eek.

there is a lot of info on this site. hope it can help you.

i have two chis. one once very delicately, as a chi will do, just delicately put the chickens feathers in her mouth. and i decided, oh, you really ARE a dog. so, for us, no more chis around chickens. that cut the dogs play area down by more than half, but then they get to come in the house, so tough cookies.

the fact that it's eating and drinking is a good thing. good luck figuring out what you want to do. never an easy choice.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Infection is going to be a huge concern. Keep it clean and treated with the antibiotic oinment. If you have any antibiotics you may want to start it on some. It's good that it is eating and drinking. Will be a long healing process with big chunks of skin missing. Good luck!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Are the wounds just surficial, as in no puncture wounds? If puncture wounds, or if a lot of surficial wounds, she may well need internal antibiotics in addition to the topical neosporin (once you indicate what the scoop is, recs will likely come in re: what the best oral or injectible antibiotic would be).

For pain, 5 regular (325mg) aspirin crushed to a powder and mixed well into a gallon of water.

Warm, stress free comfy environment.

She will benefit from extra good nutrition right now.

5. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Make sure to keep ointment on the wound and skin around it. You don't want the wound to dry out to bad. I had this happen to my rooster. He made it but it took along time to heal. Antibiotics and vitamins are very important. Can you post pictures?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  6. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    ***update***

My brother posted for me because my computer was down **thanks scott!**

The chicken seems to be doing ok so far..like my brother said 50% of the skin is gone...you can see the entire neck muscle.
    She is still eating and drinking. I'm keeping her in the shower in my bathroom, I'm taking her out and bleaching the floors once a day, and I've been giving her some amoxacillian, as well as keeping the wound covered in antibiotic ointment..then a layar of saran wrap and then a baby diaper sprayed with peroxide with the butt part cut out so I can put her head through and strap it on her like a life jacket.

( I'm sure my brother is LHBO reading this right now) [​IMG]

7. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    My suggestion would be to rinse the wound with warm water for a few minutes 4 to 5 times a day or as often as you can without overstressing her. Do not use the plastic wrap, you want air to get to the wound to help it heal. I would then use bedodine spray and use the diaper the way you have been. Amazingly water is a wonderful thing for encouraging healing. My horse had a real bad wound on her leg that I thought would cuase us to have to put her down. The vet came out and said that with surface wounds water is the best thing. The wound was to big and not enough skin to close it so I washed it down with the hose about 5 times a day, we walk in circles for the first few days until she realized that the grass was growing like mad from all of the water. She then just stood there and let it happen. It never quite healed but had a perminate scab. She was no worse for the ware from it. Good luck, Jenn

8. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    really? I assumed because it's soposed to be "inside" a moist enviroment would be best to help it heal?

9. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I would just put the ointment on it but don't cover it. It will scab up pretty bad but that will come off ond you will be suprised at how good it will look. Just let the ointment be the only moisture beside washing it out.

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

how is the girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by