Help my dogs ate some baking yeast!

NancyDz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Dutch Flat, CA
I got groceries and bought some baking yeast , the kind that comes with 3 small packages.
I must have dropped it or something when putting away the groceries as I just noticed them
sitting on a dog bed in the corner chewing on something. I found the chewed up remains of the package with at least a teaspoon of it spilled on the bed but the rest they must have eaten.

Do you think it will hurt them? Rise in their tummies? What should I do?

Thanks for any help

Nancy

My 110 pound black lab recently ate about 3 pounds of raw yeast dough. My vet just said to watch him, and give him plenty of water.
How large is your dog and how long ago did they get into the yeast? Was it only one dog or multiple?

*My dog was fine, he got a wicked tummy ache but he turned out ok!

Last edited:
My dogs would do the same thing! Can you call your vet? or a local emergency vet clinic? They could tell you for sure, but the other option is to give hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit it up. the dosage per pound of dog escapes me, but I bet you could find it on line...I think I gave my 65 lb dog two or three tablespoons, wait ten minutes, if no puke, repeat. I don't swear to the amount though - better if you can find out the proper dose. If you try that, give it in an oral syringe or maybe a turkey baster. They don't like it much, so you might want someone to help hold the dog. Lift her chin a bit and squirt it into the back of her mouth. Let her chin down a bit(not all the way or it'll drain out) so she can swallow but hold her mouth closed. Stroking her throat often encourages her to swallow, too.

If you do this, do it in the kitchen or bathroom - a washable floor! Good luck

It's two dogs, one is a 45lb lab/doxie mix and the other is a 30 lb aussie/doxie mix.
I'm not sure how much they got but it couldnt have been more than a tablespoon or two each.

Everything I read online warns of the dough but not the powder yeast. There tummies
should be empty as they eat later in the day. Guess maybe I'll not feed them until I think this is out of their system? I'm worried about putting anything in their tummys as it might
expand!

thanks for your reply.. makes me feel better.

Nancy
smile.png

I have had this happen and we gave our dog tums per the vet. Lots of water and watch out for the exiting of the yeast......lots of gas and loose stool.
FUN TIMES TO BE HAD!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
How many tums ? Too funny... Figures when we have storms and I'm already having to push them out the door to get them to go potty. How long did it take to uhhh exit??

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom