Help!! My drake thinks he is a chook..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by munchkin, Mar 23, 2007.

1. munchkin

munchkin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2007
    leongatha, australia
    We recently adopted an adult peking drake, who had been raised with chooks.. Unfortunately he thinks he is a chook, and tries to "love"all our chooks. As he is bigger than them and ducks have quite a rough mating style (compared to roosters), we are worried he may do some harm. We would prefer not to separate them as we like all our poultry to free range.. Unfortunately at this stage this is the only thing we can do.. Does anyone have any suggestions? (When we first got him we thought that if we shut him and the ducks in a yard together he would start finding them more appealing, and he does, but he won't leave the chooks alone).

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem....my runner [​IMG] this one particular hen....acutally seeks her out. But I'm beginning to think it's the chicken that thinks she's a duck, cuz she's the only chicken that lays eggs in the duck nest box. If he catches her in there, he runs her out and it's a big [​IMG]

Go figure.....

Mine now has two hen ducks...but maybe he needs three? Like I need an excuse to get more!!!

Separation is the only thing that helped...but like you, I like to have both run the whole property. chickens just don't get the big slugs and the ducks do such a good job at that!

Good Luck, and I hope to see some responses from some wiser folks here. [​IMG]
    Sandra

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That sounds like a pain, but it also sounds a bit funny [​IMG] sorry

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:ducks will kill a chicken hen if they mate with them, totally different anatomy.

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:ducks will kill a chicken hen if they mate with them, totally different anatomy.

x2 You really need to separate them for the safety of your hens.

6. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Guess I'm going to have to separate mine too. Our drake has always slept with and spent all of his time with one our hens since they were babies. So far we haven't had any problems with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by