Help my duck cant walk

Could you post a video of the duck?
Do you have any pictures of his droppings?
Where are you located in the world?

Several conditions can cause a sudden onset in paralysis with waterfowl, ranging from toxicosis, bacterial infections, trauma, to neurological damage. Differentiating these conditions merely on outward symptoms, and anamnesis can often prove inaccurate, therefore, if a veterinarian is an option, that may be the best route to choose.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm?CustID=28019418

If a vet is not an option, treatment should be first tailored to treating his current anorexic state. Anorexic birds often are unable to produce a copious amount of metabolic heat to maintain normothermia, and often become hypothermic, therefore, environmental space should be warmer than usual to ward off such as scenario. Nutritional support is warranted in cases of anorexia to maintain the bird's nutrional state.

If the bird is not eating, tube feeding is the only option to provide nutritional support. Tube feeding supplies consists of a 60ml syringe, gamebird starter feed/ or parrot baby feeding formula, in addition, one should have a gram scale, and tubing, preferably an 18 french red rubber catheter, but aquarium tubing of a similar size, equipped with a melted tip to prevent esophageal damage will suffice. Additional information on tube feeding can be found here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

If you live in a warm climate, chances of bacterial ingestion exp. Clostridium botulinum (botulism), is likely and could pose similar symptoms. In consideration of this, you may attempt to give activated charcoal via gavage (tube feeding). Charcoal can be purchased in a pet form with sorbitol added, although plain activated charcoal tablets will suffice. A good start in dealing with these problems is with a thorough physical examination; performed correctly this simple step can provide valuable information otherwise miscounted for.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry
His poo is bright green. And he pees in the water which is white. I'm tube feeding him. He did have some peas yesterday and can now swim in water. His drinking better and is showing signs of wanting to get out of the pool. When I hod him he has the use of his wings and feet , he just can't support his weight. Im doing swimming therapy and I have vitamins in his water. His still talking and wanting to be with the rest of his flock.

His poo is bright green. And he pees in the water which is white. I'm tube feeding him. He did have some peas yesterday and can now swim in water. His drinking better and is showing signs of wanting to get out of the pool. When I hod him he has the use of his wings and feet , he just can't support his weight. Im doing swimming therapy and I have vitamins in his water. His still talking and wanting to be with the rest of his flock.
I'm located in Queensland Australia. I will post video and pics this afternoon.

Continue on with the supportive care, and hopefully, you'll keep seeing improvements.

I'm interested to see the video of him, and pictures of his droppings. Green droppings often indicative of an anorexic state.

Continue on with the supportive care, and hopefully, you'll keep seeing improvements.

I'm interested to see the video of him, and pictures of his droppings. Green droppings often indicative of an anorexic state.
This is his poo and I've just come home to his girlfriend who now has something with her eye. She's keeping it closed......feel like I can win at all. Everything has been fine for 7 months 😭
Both photos attached

Attachments

• 20210226_114034.jpg
    20210226_114034.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210226_112140.jpg
    20210226_112140.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 7
Try getting a video of your male duck whenever you can, you can upload it to a platform like YouTube or Vimeo and copy/paste the link here.

Today's update is: he is starting to walk and stand up on his own now. His also eating and poops are look a little better. His girlfriend eye is completely back to normal. I will keep doing what I'm doing and time will heal.

After posting these videos he moved himself 5 feet and ate some peas.
His girlfriend eye has a film over it and clear tears are coming down her face.

Today's update is: he is starting to walk and stand up on his own now. His also eating and poops are look a little better. His girlfriend eye is completely back to normal. I will keep doing what I'm doing and time will heal.

Great news!

Back
Top Bottom