help, my duck is suddenly lame

My Pet Chicken doesn't sell ducks themselves, they do what is called "drop-shipping". They forward your order to a hatchery from where your birds are being shipped. Very likely you got the swedes from Ideal. They are one of the largest breeder for black swedish ducks.
I have only tried epsom salt in a bath once, with "Bazilla" one of my white layers and it was a mess. She drank a lot of that water and developed a nasty diarrhea - as if duck poop isn't bad enough! Just warm water, little more than your body temperature will help to relax muscles, nerves and tendons.

oh i didn’t know this about mpc, holy cow. i thought the birds were very nicely secured when shipped & they have been very healthy until this issue today. thx for info on the bath, i sure don’t want more issues than we already have. i’ll keep w/ the baby aspirin & will try the watm
bath & rest.

I say this as I did not on one of my ducks as I was watching and she did not act that sick. She just fell over DEAD. It was an infection and she was able to bath and move but was not acting like herself. Because she was communicating with me etc . . , I was waiting and treating for egg bound and other over the counter things. If I would have administered just about any antibiotic it would have given me more time to figure it out.

I say this as I did not on one of my ducks as I was watching and she did not act that sick. She just fell over DEAD. It was an infection and she was able to bath and move but was not acting like herself. Because she was communicating with me etc . . , I was waiting and treating for egg bound and other over the counter things. If I would have administered just about any antibiotic it would have given me more time to figure it out.

no antibiotics on hand, no. i brought her to the er exotic vet. they want to xray & lab, she is very stressed & panting now, uggg.

I had necropsy and susceptibility panel thus almost any of the antibiotics I had on hand would have helped.

Also, I was using meal worms and did not know that it was too much phosphorus causing worsening of kidney disease and causing calcium deficiency i.e. phosphorus/calcium disturbances.

meal worms are extremely high in phosphorus and they were receiving a disproportionate amount of phosphorus compared to the amount of calcium

Best of luck. Fingers crossed.

please help guys! i’m at vet & pippi is breathing fast. did i give her too much aspirin? i gave her 81mg about 3 hours ago. she was eating & drinking fine & now is very stressed, vet does not seem to know what is going on. gave pippi sedation & she calmed right down. i just want to take her home, these people don’t have any idea what is going on & just want to do more & more tests. please help me w/ suggestions. if she is going to die she should be w/ her buddies not in a box. i feel terrible, maybe i overdosed her w/ aspirin? maybe this is just stress breathing? help.

Back
Top Bottom