Help my duck wont eat!!!!!!

cay1984

Chirping
Apr 17, 2016
I lost one of my pekin ducks to something killing it and i have another that was injured shes been treated with meds but still wont eat? She drinks but wont eat! Im desperate i dont want to loose her to!!!

Sorry for your loss. :hugs How long has it been since your injured duck ate? What injuries did she suffer and what meds are you giving her?

It's good that she's drinking. Depending on how long it's been since the attack, she may be in shock, or pain may be impacting her appetite - more info would help.

Best wishes for your duck's recovery.

Its been two and a half days as of now since they where attacked she has a puncture whole in her left breast and a little above that is another i have her on antibiotics and metcam for pain i have been force feeding her watered down peanut butter 4 times a day since she hasnt ate on her own ive put cream on her wounds daily

Is your duck alone now or do you still have other ducks? If you have others, is she separated from them or can she see them? If she is a lone duck now, she is likely grieving the loss of her friend. Ducks bond very strongly.

Last edited:
And curious, why are you force feeding her peanut butter? Did a vet tell you to do that? I've never heard of giving ducks peanut butter before. I've heard to give them oatmeal or boiled/scrambled eggs, but not peanut butter.

The antibiotics can kill their appetite. I also have not heard about peanut butter - that may not be sitting well - it is kind of oily and that can be hard on their digestive system. We try things, but that may be part of the issue...

I also would go more for trying to feed her eggs at this time, or try the tub feeding recipe for waterfowl.

An unbreakable mirror can really help ducks feel more secure sometimes.

(apologies for occasional strange sentences - cat was helping)

Last edited:
There are a number of threads here that address tube feeding ducks, like this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/725982/duck-force-feed-help. See the links embedded in the thread.

Tube feeding formulas generally seem to include a specially-formulated parenteral nutrition liquid like Ensure Plus. This site has a recipe: http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...s/UKBHusbIndTech/cas_feeding_av_waterfowl.htm.

Tagging some duck folks for additional input: @Miss Lydia , @Amiga , @Ren2014
Some also use baby bird food from the pet store probably has a name but I don't know it.

I have never heard of giving peanut butter even watered down to water fowl. I ask that question too did the vet rec this for your duck? @cay1984

Thank u the rescue here says it works wonders for them and it has seemed to pep her up quite a bit thank u for your info and help

Is your duck alone now or do you still have other ducks? If you have others, is she separated from them or can she see them? If she is a lone duck now, she is likely grieving the loss of her friend. Ducks bond very strongly.

Back
Top Bottom