help! my duckling is struggling to walk!

redtheduck

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
hi there,

i am new to the world of backyard ducks and just recently got two little ducklings. They are about 3 weeks old now and last week one of them stopped being able to walk. After doing some research and talking to the woman we got them from, we decided that it was probably a niacin deficiency. We have been giving her sav-a-chick and probiotics that the woman recommended for a few days now. She definitely seems a bit better, and her appetite is strong. However, a day or so after we started giving her the electrolytes and probiotics she started favoring one leg over the other. Now her left leg seems limp and she avoids using it. I don't think there is a break or sprain or anything like that because she was previously using it and also when we inspect it she does not seem to be in any pain. So... I guess I am wondering a few things:

how long does a niacin deficiency take to clear up? when can/should we expect her to start walking?

could this be another problem?

has anyone experienced something like this?

she is really trying her best it seems to pull through. her bunkmate, is much bigger and stronger and I can't totally understand why one of them is fine and the other is suffering.

any advice or suggestions would be oh so much appreciated.

thanks

I am on the road so I may not be able to respond quickly,,,,,

Some ducklings are more sensitive to diet and environment. Some just have difficulties developing. I don't know how much niacin is in sav-a-chick, I usually pass along Storey's recommendation of 100 to 150 mg per gallon of water for about ten weeks. Some ducklings respond quickly, some take weeks. Are the legs unusually warm?

I just joined this page to find help what is a thread and how do you post? We put him in water and his foot stayed crumpled. It seems to be swollen. He also crys or gets upset if you touch his leg. Thanks for your help . I don't want him to be in pain. It would not let me send you a message so I am just responding on a comment.

Magz21,

is there a leg band on the leg? Sometimes they slide up the leg and as the duckling grows, hurt the leg and must be removed.

If you can get a veterinaria 's help, please do so. Leg problems can be caused by niacin deficiency, so 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water can be used to help. What feed are you using?

Near the top of the Duck Forum page is a blue button. Start a New Thread. You click on that and put a title, like Urgent Duckling Leg Crumpled then write in the details in the larger box and the.n you have a thread/topic/discussion started. You can subscribe to it so youget an email when anyone posts a comment.

What do you mean by leg band? Is he in pain? How long till he heals? They are eating fruits and weeds and oats thanks again!

Sometimes ducklings when coming from hatcheries have leg bands on, they can be plastic, metal etc, and can get lost in feathers so examine the legs really well and if you find one cut it off. ducklings grow so fast the band can get embedded into the skin rather quick and cause infection and loss of blood flow. If that's not the case, did he accidentally get dropped? or picked up by his leg? get some warm water into the sink and place the duckling in the water just deep enough to let him float, always stay with them because they can get water logged and drown fast. but while in the warm water see how well the duckling can use his leg can he move it at all? water therapy can do wonders and you can even use some Epsom salt compresses on the leg for swelling, but don't let the duckling drink water with epsom salt in it the salts work as a laxative. Rest, water therapy and niacin 100-150mg added to their drinking water maybe enough to help him get over this. Just be sure to not let them chill while in the water or when you get them out, make sure to put them back into brooder under heat lamp. Please keep us updated on progress.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks so much and will keep you posted! Is he in pain? And should you release ducks ice they get older? I have heard yes and knows from everyone!

Thanks so much and will keep you posted! Is he in pain? And should you release ducks ice they get older? I have heard yes and knows from everyone!

Release? do you mean raising them then releasing them into the wild then no, they are solely dependent on you they will not know how to take care of themselves, honestly I can find a link from carolina water fowl of domestics that have been "dumped" ducks and it's heart breaking what can happen to them. Please don't even think that way, if the time comes when you don't feel you can care for your ducks, find them a good home, post on the BYC rehoming thread but please don't dump them on some lake,pond or river.As far as pain he maybe, but keeping him from running around may limit how much and putting him into warm water letting him exercise the leg may help minimize pain also.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! I don't want to release just was not sure if it was better for them in the wild!

Back
Top Bottom