Help! My ducklings beak is injured

Birdmom1

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
Hello, last Friday we got 3 abandoned ducklings. We believe they are wood ducks. We unfortunately lost 2 of them over the weekend, and I had to force feed the last one to keep her alive. She’s eating and drinking now, but her beak isn’t doing so well. I’m not sure if it’s a bacterial infection attacking her or if she got injured and it’s infected now. It almost looks like her beak is deteriorating. If anyone has any idea what’s going on or how to treat her, I would appreciate the feedback! Thank you View attachment 2183843View attachment 2183844

Looks pretty minor to me, dabbing a bit of Neosporin around the affected area should be sufficient, bill injuries usally recover fine. The pink part on the tip of the bill is normal with Wood Ducklings, that's not an infection .

1591651528608.png

If these are wild ducklings they should be turned over to your local wildlife rehabilitator, if you are unable to find one you can try contacting your local game warden.

It would be helpful if you had your location under your avatar picture.

Simple to do and really helps people help you. Just go to the top right where your "BYC name" is and click. A drop-down menu will take you to “Account Details”. If you put your location there it will always be under your picture.

Hi, there!

Just checking into see how your bird is doing. Updates to these threads are very useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom