Help? My ducks are always spilling out their water while I'm at work!

leishajane

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Inglis, FL
I've recently started getting back into the poultry keeping- My grandfather was a farmer, and I had some of my own as a chlid. I have two juvinile Jumbo Pekins & 3 Muscovys (two are five weeks older than the Jumbos, one is still developing feathers, but same size as the Jumbos.) My two older muscovys are in their own pen, and they're just fine. They keep it clean, they don't spill an excessive amount of water, and they only need their feed filled every few days. The other three are in a pen and within 20 minutes of filling their water and feed, they've emptied them. I purchased a five gallon waterer last night, filled it, and put them up for the night. When I went to let them out this morning- it was empty. I live in Florida, and they continue to spill their water until it's empty, and when I come home from work on my breaks- they're hot & panting with dirt all in their mouths. Please help? It's not even the hottest part of the season and I'm worried they're without water while it's too hot!!! Anyone know what to do about this?

There are a number of solutions. But it depends on their age.

My adult runners get their drinking water in a straight-sided two gallon stew pot. They cannot turn it over unless there is too little water in it. They also have a kiddie pool for splashing. If your ducks don't have a kiddie pool for splashing, they may try to get into their water. I suspect that's what's going on.

You could try getting more waterers, and - or setting the waterer into a shallow (like, 4 inches tall) bucket that is a few inches wider than the waterer to catch the splash. Then they will be able to still drink from it.

They are around 2-3 months old.. They have a kiddie pool. The waterers I've been using are the vacuum-seal type chicken waterers. The older muscovys do spill some of it while drinking- but these guys literally empty the waterer (even a 5 gal) in a very short time... The ground is constantly soaked!

They are around 2-3 months old.. They have a kiddie pool. The waterers I've been using are the vacuum-seal type chicken waterers. The older muscovys do spill some of it while drinking- but these guys literally empty the waterer (even a 5 gal) in a very short time... The ground is constantly soaked!

hmm sounds like their stepping on them! i have a 3GAL, like below in with my four 5wk+ muscovies and they drained it one night and i was like what?? sure enough soaked stall, i fixed that by lifting it up on bricks.

So they have access to a kiddy pool too? can they get in/out of it safely enough? they'll drink from the pool, all mine do, so technically they are not out of water just the clean type which frankly is hard to come by with ducks lol

I would try elevating the waterers and see what happens...

I had it on concrete blocks and they're still making a mess. That's the type of waterer I've been using too. Went up to the 5 gal & they're still draining it! They've got ramps and stepping stones to get into the kiddie pool, but you're right- it's not very clean water!! (No matter how much I change it.)

I had it on concrete blocks and they're still making a mess. That's the type of waterer I've been using too. Went up to the 5 gal & they're still draining it! They've got ramps and stepping stones to get into the kiddie pool, but you're right- it's not very clean water!! (No matter how much I change it.)

LOL well they don't call them waterfowl for nothing
tongue.png
Hmm, you could try a bucket, honestly i don't know what else, a rubber livestock bowl is what i use outside the ducks barn... ignore the duck they make good pools too!
roll.png
It's always wet & muddy around these areas, i just consider it part of the ducks way of being, mind you i do get sick of it and may upgrade some areas with gravel for my own safety(mud is real slippery!)

Back
Top Bottom