Help! My ducks aren't waterproof

jen1472

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
Please help! I have two white Campbell's about months old. Just this last week they've started to get wet when it rains or when they're in the bath.... As in not waterproof. I've tried water changes, baths, massaging their oil glands (I think
1f615.png
) feeding yogurt and honey mix for energy and I've noticed now their bigger feathers are falling out. One of my ducks seemed to be sitting a lot for one day but seemed to perk up. They both seem ok in themselves but I'm puzzled..... Any help would be massively appreciated !!! Thanks *quack

welcome-byc.gif
I hope you find the answer to your problem. I wonder if oil glands can become blocked. You might also receive good advice if you post on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread.

Welcome. Are they 1 mon or couple mons old. Theirs a condition called chronic wet feather (treatable) and according to storeys guide to raising ducks awesome book btw can come from blocked/ infected oil gland. using soaps, oils, or any kind of chemical residue in their bath can cause as well. If this is case stop all use of products. If blocked/ infected oil gland you can massage oil gland with warm compresses to unblock gland worse case they may need vet prescribed antibiotic. They may also go threw a molt as old feathers will never be waterproof but news ones will. What's their diet? Do they have access to clean dry bedding at all times? I ask b/c these can be factors as well. You sound like a very caring duck owner and I hope their back in health in no time.

It's not unusual for molting ducks to get wet. In heavy molt, their are gaps between the feathers that allows water to wick into the feathers. I seriously doubt it's a clogged uropygial gland: unlikely multiple birds would get what in my experience is a very rare condition at the same time.

Clint

Aww guys thanks you've been great!! Hopefully it will just be the molt I've put sawdust bedding back in the house as it seemed to help keep it dryer than just the hay. I'm having a new pond dug in so at the minute they have a bucket to splash in and I put them in a clean bath with no soaps on anything. We don't use the bath either really as we have a separate shower so there's nothing in it. Thanks again for all the advice! (I think it might be the beds as they are damp on the underbelly so I'll get it all changed again this weekend. Fingers crossed! I'd hate anything to happen to mrs good duck and mrs naughty duck.
Also .... One more question - they are both the same age (about 5months) but one lays and the other doesn't .... ANY ideas? Thanks
1f615.png
1f615.png
1f615.png

Read threw your original post to fast so didn't catch that both your ducks had this going on so yeah most likely molting which has made for grumpy ducks around here few of my girls molting as well. Some of my girls started laying around 5 mon. And some at 6 mons. When they first start their pattern will be wacky as their new to this so I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom