1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! My ducks will hardly touch layer pellets!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmsim93, Nov 8, 2009.

1. jmsim93

jmsim93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    East Texas
    I have 2 female Khaki Campbells and a male and female Roen. They are 14 weeks old. They are growing very nicely and appear to be happy and healthy but they rarely eat any feed I give them. I only put out 4 cups of feed (1 cup each) because I got tired of wasting it when they never ate it. Even with only that amount...most days it is barely touched. They live on a wonderful pond and have access to lots of bugs and such, but now that winter is approaching I thought they would begin to eat more. Our feed store does not offer duck rations...only chicken. Should I be concerned about this???

Here are some photos of the ducks and their pond...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Lucky ducks... looks like they are pretty happy to me. I don't know much about feed - mine are eating duck and goose maintenance... Just wanted to comment on how content they look.

Tia

3. jmsim93

jmsim93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    East Texas
    Quote:Thanks, Tia. I am concerned for them, though. I wonder if they are getting enough nutrients to support hatchability? I'm really wanting a string of baby ducks on the pond.

4. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    it looks like a perfect habitat for them! I see duck weed - that stuff is crazy power house of live nutrition- I see a full cycling eco system there
    Lucky ducks!

5. Ducks that are able to eat primarily from forage are getting the best possible diet, especially when they have access to as diverse an environment as you have provided them. You can relax, they will take the feed if they need it. They really are lucky duckies!!

6. SweetWaterRanch

SweetWaterRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    Loma Rica, CA
    I am so glad I found this post... We adopted two Muscovy hens Saturday and have been concerned because they have not been eating what I put out, (which is the same food our Cayuga eats). BTW, they are in a temporary pen till they are used to their new surroundings, so they are not running around the property foraging.
    Thanks,
    Marija

7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Your free ranged ducks will hardly ever touch pelleted food like that! I would try a dog food on the water or crack corn around the edge! They get all the nutrients from the bugs fish frogs and grass ect. That is around the pond they won't starve! And if they would get hungry they would eat all the pellets up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by