Help!! My fav hen wants to star in The Exorcist

Jan 10, 2023
Please help. My favourite hen, an approximately 4 yo Rhode Island Red called Ruby has suddenly developed this weird problem. It's like she wants to star in The Exorcist as her head and neck are swivelling right round. She was fine and laying regularly up to 3 days ago. Still eating ok though as well as she can with a twisted neck.

Attachments

• 20230323_124018.jpg
    20230323_124018.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230322_174016.jpg
    20230322_174016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230322_174022.jpg
    20230322_174022.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
If she is swiveling her neck, it sounds like she is adjusting her crop. That might be from something stuck in the crop or having trouble passing. If it stays twisted, that sounds neurological and may be wry neck. Wry neck is treated with human vitamin E 400 IU daily given orally. I would feel of her crop first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks, to see if her crop has emptied overnight. Here is some info about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If you can upload a video to YouTube with a link posted here that may be helpful.

It's called wry neck, it's a vitamin deficiency, start her on 400.i,u vitamin E, and about a third of a b complex tablet. Once a day, for two weeks, just pull down on her wattle and pop it into her mouth
Thank you - I did wonder if that's what it was but info said wry neck was more stargazing and her head just does these twisty loops to the right. I was worried it might be Mareks? as none of my chooks are vaccinated.
I'd hate to lose her - not only is she my best layer, she's also Queen B and a real personality.

If she is swiveling her neck, it sounds like she is adjusting her crop. That might be from something stuck in the crop or having trouble passing. If it stays twisted, that sounds neurological and may be wry neck. Wry neck is treated with human vitamin E 400 IU daily given orally. I would feel of her crop first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks, to see if her crop has emptied overnight. Here is some info about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If you can upload a video to YouTube with a link posted here that may be helpful.
She's been doing it for 3 days. Poor Ruby can't even fly onto the roost at night as her neck swivels too vigorously. She seems fine moving about during the day though.
I'll check her crop in the morning.

Update - I fed Ruby with scrambled eggs and sunflower seeds which apparently are high in Vit E. It seemed to work as before I could get into town for capsules, she improved significantly. On day 5 she even resumed laying.
Thank you to those who helped.

Back
Top Bottom