Help- my favorite hen is very sick!

thechickenweirdo

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
My favorite hen (not even a year old yet) stopped laying eggs about a month ago-- I thought it was probably the August heat. But over the last couple weeks she's gotten worse... she's stopped eating and drinking and has neon green, stringy, super smelly poop. Her pupils are constantly dilating and she often stands on one foot (it's not bumble foot and I've checked the foot thoroughly, there's no infection, cuts, thorns, etc. nothing at all there). She's been isolating herself from the flock and staying up in the hen house in the afternoons and early evening. On Monday I took her to the vet-- she had a fecal float test and coccidiosis came back negative. She was vaccinated for Marek's at 1 day old. She's not egg-bound, not broody. Vet didn't know what it is, so she gave me an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory to give her. I now have her isolated-- she has her own area to free range outside and a wire crate to go in at night.

The first two days of the medicines I thought she seemed a little bit better. Today, day 5, she's gotten worse-- very lethargic, very little appetite. I'm offering all of her favorite treats- corn on the cob, meal worms, watermelon, hard boiled egg. She may peck at the hard boiled egg for a moment or two but then goes and sits under a tree. She just sits there with her eyes closed most of the day. I put grenadine in her water to sweeten it and entice her to drink, but she won't go near it. She's hardly eaten or had anything to drink in days.

She used to sit with me and now she seems scared of me when I come into her space (I'm assuming from me giving her meds 3x a day, which she hates) She seems depressed being separated from her flock. She has a best chickie friend who is in the flock and seems anxious without her mate. Has anyone dealt with anything similar? Is there any way I can cheer her up or tricks to get her to eat something? Any advice at all? Even if I can't save her life, is there anything I can do to make her happier or more comfortable if these are her final days?

My favorite hen (not even a year old yet) stopped laying eggs about a month ago-- I thought it was probably the August heat. But over the last couple weeks she's gotten worse... she's stopped eating and drinking and has neon green, stringy, super smelly poop. Her pupils are constantly dilating and she often stands on one foot (it's not bumble foot and I've checked the foot thoroughly, there's no infection, cuts, thorns, etc. nothing at all there). She's been isolating herself from the flock and staying up in the hen house in the afternoons and early evening. On Monday I took her to the vet-- she had a fecal float test and coccidiosis came back negative. She was vaccinated for Marek's at 1 day old. She's not egg-bound, not broody. Vet didn't know what it is, so she gave me an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory to give her. I now have her isolated-- she has her own area to free range outside and a wire crate to go in at night.

The first two days of the medicines I thought she seemed a little bit better. Today, day 5, she's gotten worse-- very lethargic, very little appetite. I'm offering all of her favorite treats- corn on the cob, meal worms, watermelon, hard boiled egg. She may peck at the hard boiled egg for a moment or two but then goes and sits under a tree. She just sits there with her eyes closed most of the day. I put grenadine in her water to sweeten it and entice her to drink, but she won't go near it. She's hardly eaten or had anything to drink in days.

She used to sit with me and now she seems scared of me when I come into her space (I'm assuming from me giving her meds 3x a day, which she hates) She seems depressed being separated from her flock. She has a best chickie friend who is in the flock and seems anxious without her mate. Has anyone dealt with anything similar? Is there any way I can cheer her up or tricks to get her to eat something? Any advice at all? Even if I can't save her life, is there anything I can do to make her happier or more comfortable if these are her final days?
Does she have worms? can you take a picture of her and the stool? Give her some electrolytes and make sure shes not stressed. I wish the best for her.

Does she have worms? can you take a picture of her and the stool? Give her some electrolytes and make sure shes not stressed. I wish the best for her.
0-1.png

Attachments

• 0-2.png
    0-2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
This is her neon green poop and this is my sweet hen just sitting there with her eye closed

Attachments

• 0-1.png
    0-1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 0-2.png
    0-2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Poor baby girl, i know you set its a bit hot there, but is it cold in areas? They usually hold their foot up like that to keep in warmth, maybe shes cold? Im not to sure about the poop, its hard to see with the shavings..
I live in western north carolina, so we've had a couple recent chilly autumn mornings but nothing too far below the mid-50s... Yesterday in the afternoon it was in the 80s, so hard for me to believe she's cold. I have her wire crate well insulated for the chillier nights.

I will try to get a better pic of the poop and post.

Thanks for your care and concern... what a beautiful thing to feel so much love for a chicken, yet so hard when they're not doing well.......

I live in western north carolina, so we've had a couple recent chilly autumn mornings but nothing too far below the mid-50s... Yesterday in the afternoon it was in the 80s, so hard for me to believe she's cold. I have her wire crate well insulated for the chillier nights.

I will try to get a better pic of the poop and post.

Thanks for your care and concern... what a beautiful thing to feel so much love for a chicken, yet so hard when they're not doing well.......
Of course, i hope everything goes well

by the way, they arent always having their whole body cold. sometimes their feet are really cold, like they stepped in water and their feet got super freezing, so they tuck one in that way, maybe feel her feet and that could rule out that. :love

Poor baby girl, i know you set its a bit hot there, but is it cold in areas? They usually hold their foot up like that to keep in warmth, maybe shes cold? Im not to sure about the poop, its hard to see with the shavings..
Here is a better photo of the poop.

Attachments

• 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom