Help- my favorite hen is very sick!

Is she walking around without limping or curled under toes? Can you check her vent to make sure there are no maggots around her vent, and look for any lice or mites under her belly? Can you try to get her eating some scrambled egg, tuna, and wet chicken feed? Offer water first and get her drinking. Poultry NutriDrench or vitamins with electrolytes might help as well. How long since she laid eggs? What does her crop feel like—flat and empty, full, hard, or puffy? Can you post a picture of her eyes?
She is not limping and stopped doing the thing where she stand on one foot. There are no maggots around her vent or lice on her belly. Yesterday I blended hardboiled egg with electrolyte mix and she ate some of that. The last time she laid an egg was August 14th (again, thought it was due to heat because it was HOT from then until mid-September in this region). I will take a picture of her eyes and check on her crop soon and post back with that info. Thank you so much for your help.

Each morning it would be good to feel of her crop to make sure that it empties overnight. Some young chickens can have reproductive infections or disorders that may not be treatable. The way she stands is common for a sick chicken. When she was still laying in August, did you ever notice any shell-less eggs? When you have a sick hen with an unknown illness like this, and cannot see a vet, it might be good to worm her with the Valbazen, and perhaps give her an antibiotic such as Aqua Mox fish amoxicillin 125-250 mg twice a day for 10 days, in case of a reproductive infection.

Back
Top Bottom