Help!!!! My favorite Rooster is ATTACKING ME

Chop House.

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out - that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse." - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't expect a chicken to act like a human, but i DO expect it to know its place in the flock. It is no kindness to allow an aggressor to live and continue abusing the innocent (or yourself) for reasons of emotion. Nor do I think it appropriate to "rehome" a rooster to someone unaware of his aggressive behaviors. As an NPIP certified breeder, I take flock security very seriously - poultry leaves my property, it doesn't re-enter.

Aggressive Roosters become meals for myself and my family.

I take no joy in it, but neither do I shirk from the duty. The bird has chosen its place in the culling line by its behaviors, I merely give motive force to its election.

You can try to rehabilitate - there are suggestions above for doing so. Maybe it works. Usually not. Recommend you not delay sentence too long, that someone doesn't suffer significant injury from the delay.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have had 6 roosters at different times. I have had very friendly and loving (Colonel Sanders.. was supposed to be a leghorn turned out to be Cornish Cross...(stupid TSC tag said leghorn straight run...I bought 4 chicks) he lived a long happy life), friendly with personal space bubble(Zeke our present roo), Thor and his brother Loki (Thor & Loki were my first roosters and Thor was my first aggressive one) I came back to BYC to research how to handle him. It went good and periodically he needed a refresher course on manners. He was a good flock protector. Loki not so much. Mr. Speckles (EE rooster) was THE best flock protector we had ever had. He was in charge of the whole flock. He was the only rooster we had at the time. He grew up in the same flock as Thor and when he passed Mr. Speckles took over. If one of the hens clucked or squawked he came running. He gave his life protecting the hens from a hawk attack while we were out running errands. Never had that happen before. We are much more watchful now. He was a NIGHTMARE for me. I had rakes, sticks, and a broom strategically placed around so I was never far from protection. He didn't attack our 7yr old daughter or my husband. Me...he HATED no matter what I did..to this day I don't know what triggered his hatred. I thought about getting rid of him but he was so good with the flock and that was important to me. He ran around all the time checking on the different groups of hens. Breed does play a part in how they behave, I'm in the fence about how much how they are raised plays apart. I raised Colonel Sanders (his only flock was the other Cornish Cross hens) the same way Mr. Speckles, Thor, and Loki were and I have differing outcomes. Loki and Sanders were nice and not aggressive and Thor and Speckles were nice but aggressive. I do love roosters and I don't want to have the hens without one. I hope everything works out with your rooster.

Back
Top Bottom