HELP!! my feather babies are sick (It's not that bad... BUT STILL HELP)

I should get an old boat for a pool. It would look a lot better than my bent kiddie pool (That is stained green/brown). How much is (was) it
My Mom had had that for awhile. I don't know how much she payed for it. It might of been given to her. Sorry that I don't know. :(

Thanks for the tag, @Weeg

First of all, I think you having other drinking water sources aside from swimming water is important since ducks poop in their swimming water. I just use water buckets, and change them 2-3 times daily.

My ducks do have infectious bronchitis. The way to get a diagnosis is with a blood test at a vet. When ducks first contract the virus they can have respiratory symptoms, and after that the virus lives in the egg shell gland indefinitely. If you have it/think you have it you might want to consider keeping a closed flock (no birds in or out) so that you don't spread it or condemn new birds to life with the virus.

I don't actually know anything about chickens. I only have ducks. But my avian vet told me that there is no cure for infectious bronchitis, only supportive care for the symptoms.
I'm not sure that is fully accurate, about it being transferred to the egg for the remainder of their life time. (Mind you this is from my own research)

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-bronchitis/infectious-bronchitis-in-poultry

It seems to me that it could be transferred to the egg while they are still contagious, around 20 weeks from when they caught it.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong though, because I'm waiting on lab results and expect it to come back as IB, and I have a breeding flock.

I'm not sure that is fully accurate, about it being transferred to the egg for the remainder of their life time. (Mind you this is from my own research)

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-bronchitis/infectious-bronchitis-in-poultry

It seems to me that it could be transferred to the egg while they are still contagious, around 20 weeks from when they caught it.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong though, because I'm waiting on lab results and expect it to come back as IB, and I have a breeding flock.
I got my information from my avian veterinarian, but she could be incorrect. I haven't been able to find much information on IB myself, so I just rely on my vet. The link you posted seems to be mostly about chickens and I only have ducks so it is possible that the virus behaves differently in different poultry.

My understanding, from what my avian vet told me, is that after the initial infection which can include respiratory symptoms, the virus "lives" in the egg shell gland indefinitely - affecting the way it functions. It can be dormant or active but it never goes away and there is no treatment to cure the virus. Stress can bring on an episode, or they can just happen. This is specifically for ducks.

I hope your birds don't have it.

I got my information from my avian veterinarian, but she could be incorrect. I haven't been able to find much information on IB myself, so I just rely on my vet. The link you posted seems to be mostly about chickens and I only have ducks so it is possible that the virus behaves differently in different poultry.

My understanding, from what my avian vet told me, is that after the initial infection which can include respiratory symptoms, the virus "lives" in the egg shell gland indefinitely - affecting the way it functions. It can be dormant or active but it never goes away and there is no treatment to cure the virus. Stress can bring on an episode, or they can just happen. This is specifically for ducks.

Oh wow... It never go's away... scary

I trust a vets word more than my own research. I really hope I don't have it then. Cause that's a significant problem.

The lab is taking it's time getting back to me so it's pretty stressful.

I trust a vets word more than my own research. I really hope I don't have it then. Cause that's a significant problem.

The lab is taking it's time getting back to me so it's pretty stressful.
I understand, I'm always stressed while waiting for results. My vet was adamant that I have a closed flock after my birds got a positive infectious bronchitis test. I feel like there could have been other factors at play, though. My ducks are pets only, btw.

It's fine. I did not want it that much. Just would have been cooler than a poop stained kiddie pool LOL
The boat did get stained, but I was usually able to scrub it clean. Just a lot of albow greese, that's all. I like using a scrubbing brush and Dawn dish soap. Maybe that might help you?

I understand, I'm always stressed while waiting for results. My vet was adamant that I have a closed flock after my birds got a positive infectious bronchitis test. I feel like there could have been other factors at play, though. My ducks are pets only, btw.
My chickens came back positive for IBV the vet I talked to said it's not transferred inside eggs. But could be on the outside.

He said sunlight and bleach kills it pretty quickly, as does being outside a host, so as long as I keep babies separate and in a disinfected place I could sell them.

I'm not going to until my property is clean. About 9 months. But that's better than starting over for me.

My chickens came back positive for IBV the vet I talked to said it's not transferred inside eggs. But could be on the outside.

He said sunlight and bleach kills it pretty quickly, as does being outside a host, so as long as I keep babies separate and in a disinfected place I could sell them.

I'm not going to until my property is clean. About 9 months. But that's better than starting over for me.
Oh no, I'm so sorry for your positive diagnosis. :(

That is great news that the babies won't be infected though. I don't breed, or even have a male, so I never had a reason to ask about how that worked.

Back
Top Bottom