HELP! My first batch, 8 hatched only ONE alive!

SweetPeaBre

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
hit.gif
WHAT am I doing wrong?? I put 42 eggs in my bator. I hatched quail eggs in high school in the same bator no problems. Trying my hand at chicks now (8 years later...) and out of the 42, 12 have piped and only one looks like he may make it. had a funeral for 5 already and the others are just kinda laying there. Ive read and read and read. I helped a few (very carefully followed directions, and ONLY when It looked like they were surely done for) and then just let 3 try on their own last night, and woke up to them dead half hatched) WHAT am I dong wrong?! Like I said its been a while, but Im noticing there is ALOT of membrane still. Im making sure to place them so they dont drown, but once they actually manage there way out, it seems they are still attached to an "umbilical cord" and either just lay there and die (im afraid to touch it??) or if they break it off they bleed to death. WHAT THE HECK???
hit.gif

Awww Sweetpea I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
. I am no expert but I know there could be a lot of things go wrong with a hatch. It may not be you, it could be the eggs did not produce strong chicks. I hope someone with more experience chimes in to give you some ideas.

What was your temp at? Your humidity? what day of the hatch is it? Were there any issues during incubation (ie: temp spikes, humidity drops, etc)? Are you opening the top or did you during lockdown? How long after pip did you help them out?

Pictures may help determine what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom