Help, my first sick chicken! Something with her eye...

Can you get a couple better pictures taken now that she's in a cage? I'm really not knowledgeable in medicines for different treatments.
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
Any ideas?

So this is one week after using ointment twice a day, plus a nfz puffer once a day. I included one pic of her good eye for comparison. I found a vet over an hour away who treats chickens, but would not offer advice over the phone. I have to say, I see more improvement between the first pictures posted last week and these pictures then I really see in person looking at her eye. It may have something to do with the fact the first pics were taken outside in the dark coop, and these were taken inside my lit basement.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Oh the poor girl. I'm not liking the looks of the bumpiness all around the rim of that eye. But I have no idea what it is. That cloudiness to her eye though...I think it may be blind. I had one girl that I believe got pecked as a chick and her eye had that appearance. She did fine but didn't like to venture like the other girls. Does she scratch at that eye? I'm really hoping someone can chime in here with some suggestions for you. I'm sorry I'm so little help :(

I think I'll take her to that vet. I don't see her scratch the eye, but I do see her shake her head quite a bit. It's strange because I'm stuck on what to do... if she was very sick I think it would be easier, but she seems so healthy otherwise. I can't risk pitting her with the flock without confirmation it's not contagious, but the poor thing can't live alone in my basement forever... I think it's worth a vet visit to know what I'm looking at. I appreciate all the help!

Shaking head could be lice/mites. Do you think you got them all? I know mites hang around the vent because it's moist...just wondering if the lice got in her eye. But I would think if that cream was going to work it would have by now. Well it's official...crazy chicken lady title lol. I took quite the teasing taking my first chicken to the vet and still havent told how much it cost me. It involved x-rays tho.
I agree with though...if she was suffering it would be a hard but clear decision. The fact that she seems to be no worse but no better is a tough one. And she COULD be a house chicken lol but trust me it's not easy! I'm off to Orlando next week. Have my niece staying here to chicken/dog/cat sit. She's over the moon! Thinks she's playing farmer for the week lol. We'll see if she feels the same after 5 days. Let me know how Ariel makes out. Hoping for the best.

I don't see any moving lice on her (it definitely lice and not mites, the roosters were so covered when I lifted their tails I couldn't even see skin, just a moving layer of lice!). I also was just hoping one got in her eye, but it's not making sense now it's been so long. Enjoy the warm weather! I bet your niece is thrilled to sit with Happy, I would be, he's so stinking cute. Thought you were working up to him living back outside?
lau.gif
I'll let you know what the vet says!

So, home from the vet. They said she's had a bacterial infection in her eye so long it's developed into an ulcer that treatens to rupture her eye. He put her on an antibiotic for her bacterial infection, another rental repair ointment, and an antibiotic for respiratory infection just as precation. Fingers crossed her siblings stay well also.

Back
Top Bottom