Help, my first sick chicken! Something with her eye...

Soooo... after having Ariel back with other girls for only 2 nights... I could tell integrating with the girls wasn't going to happen. I really wanted them to team up before integrating these new younger, and much smaller, girls with my slightly older, and much larger, girls. Once again Ariel refused to go into the coop each night, I had to get her from the corner of the run and put her on the roost each night. Even in the dark the other girls would go after her on the roost. About 14' of roosting space for 6 tiny girls mind you... no excuse. Then I let them out at 6 am this morning and watched the other girls grab her by her crest feathers and yank her around, while another had a wing.... refusing to let her eat or drink. I admit, I made an emotional decision on the spot without thinking. I thought "you want to be bullies... fine... then it's time to integrate" and opened the run gate t9 alow everyone access to the runs and yard. I admit, I was mad at the girls being bullies and that my plan wasn't working. Ariel immediately made friends with a rooster and the other girls forgot all about her since they had bigger issues. The day went on with the usual pecking order squabbles but the roosters finally acted like roosters and kept the peace for the most part. By the end of the day Ariel seemed to buddy up with another one of the new girls. There was a lot of chasing when it came to feeders and waterers, not a horror show but still hard to watch. My only fear left was finding Ariel at bedtime now that I let her free range. So... it came time to lock them up and I immediately went to the run, no ariel. Looked in coop, no ariel. My heart sank. I went back in for a flashlight, bundled up, got my husband and we went on a search. I checked the old coop again and realized I was missing another new girl also, which was weird, figured ariel convinced her new friend to roost outside with her somewhere. We checked everywhere, no sign of them. Then I decided to go to the big coop with the older girls and there they were! Ariel was still pacing the floor and the other girl was right up on the roost tucked up with my older birds! I picked ariel up and put her next to her new friend on the roost and thought the day could not have gone better! We integrated flocks without serious consequences, ariel made a friend and the roosters protect her closely... and most of all.... for the first time in a month since we've had her... she went in a coop at night! This little one eyed chicken has stolen our hearts, we're so protective over her it's hard to let her be a chicken, but she's doing a fine job. Im so absolutely relieved right now. I still have 4 new girls in the old coop, but I'm almost there. I figured I'll let ariel and her new friend have another night or two before I force the mean girls to join. So close! And so happy!

Speaking of happy... how is the happiest place on earth in wonderful warm weather? Is your nice still enjoying Happy Gilmore duties?

Last edited:
Oh that's great news! The pecking order stuff is hard to watch...especially when the underdog has managed to be special to you. Ariel is like my Miss Kitty.
We just got home...lots of snow here to deal with tomorrow. Everyone did great and I'm betting they will miss my niece lol. I think she spoiled everyone rotten. The chickens got warm "mush" at bed time each night. Happy is not speaking to me yet lol. Punishment for leaving him I guess. He will come around when he's done trying to intimidate my suitcase...

Back
Top Bottom