HELP! My girl adjusting to coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by urge4ice, Sep 17, 2013.

1. urge4ice

urge4ice New Egg

May 25, 2013
    Please help if you can. Tonight will be my girls second night in the outside coop. She did not want to go in, and when I put her in and locked the door, she was trying to find a way out. Do you think she just needs time to get used to it? Do you think I should keep the door open so she can go in or out whenever she wants through the night?

2. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I'd actually recommend the opposite. I'd keep her in for a few days so she learns where home is.

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Is she by herself? She may do better with other birds - they are flock birds. I agree with MEMama3. Keep her in the coop for a few days so she knows where home and safety is. You want her to run into the coop whenever she feels threatened. That's how you know if they know where home is!

4. urge4ice

urge4ice New Egg

May 25, 2013
    She is by herself. I have 3 more chicks in the house, but they are not ready to move to the coop. They do go outside sometimes with the older one during the day.

5. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    How old are your chicks?? The older one needs company.

6. urge4ice

urge4ice New Egg

May 25, 2013
    they are only 3 weeks old

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Yep. They're a little young for going outside. I put my chicks out in their coop when they were around 8 weeks. How has the older one
    been doing?? Any better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by