HELP! My hen hen just crowed!!! Warning Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pattgal, Jul 22, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    So whats the rules of sexing with EE's? because so far I am failing at this, lol

Here is Bessy my crowing hen. We are renaming him Sue (after the Johny Cash song) for coming out of the closet so late, that's right because I am sure I saw Jack mount him the other day,
    Obviously I saw him crow so he is a roo. but does this mean all the ones that look like this are roo's too? (gosh I hope not because there are a couple)
    [​IMG]

Here is what I think is a hen (we have a couple of these)
    [​IMG]

Jack was the first to crow, he has been crowing for over a month now
    [​IMG]

Nedgar and KFC, haven't crowed yet. I am hoping there is still a chance they are hens (because they are mutts and anything could happen)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Half of this flock is two weeks older than the other half. Jack and bessy/sue are the older ones but sue only crowed today while Jack has been crowing for over a month now. Nedgar and KFC are in the younger bunch

any thoughts???

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    How old is Bessy/Sue?

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have two Lav Ameruacanas and at first thought I had one of each. Then the "hen" got a tail that was longer than the one who's comb grew bigger and got red, so I was unsure of what it was. Now they both look the same and the "hen" still has not got a big comb while the other clearly has a big nice peacomb. They both look the same otherwise. So I'm wondering whether or not the less dominant roos develop more slowly or at all? This may be the case with your birds.
    Any experts out there want to help us?

I do have five Del roos and as far as I can tell only one is crowing even though they are all the same age.

4. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I lost track but a rough guess is somewhere around 14 weeks

5. chickerama10004

chickerama10004 New Egg

Jun 29, 2012
    we found a bared plymith rock chicken on the side of the road. knowing us it was thirsty so we let it come into our coop after asking is this your chicken monthes later we find out its a boy by the loud erearerooooooo in the morning at 6:00 so we had to get rid of him (we didnt kill him) this morning we heard another crow from a girl bared plymith rock chicken my dad said it wasnt very loud at all all the looks of a hen mach up and she tries to be the Queen of the roost even when our other chicken was around i heard they sometimes do crow?????

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Pictures would help...? But at 14 weeks.. That is unlikely for a hen to start crowing.

7. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    yes pictures would definitly help

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

This is a really old thread.

Chickerama10004, you might want to start a new thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by