Help! my hen is laying paper-thin shelled eggs...

Sandrachx

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2007
Chelsea, MI
we put my little girl by herself in the garage 1 month ago because she was being picked on (lost lots of weight) and a lot of her feathers were being broken. we have been giving her small rations of sunflower meat (as recommended) and have been pretty much spoiling her with greens, etc. she has filled out and her feathers look much better, BUT she has layed 2 eggs and they have been both paper-thin. advice, please! on what we are doing wrong or what might be up with her digestive system.

My buff orpington laid two just like that last week. They were her first. Now they are perfect but I offered more oyster shell around the run area plus I dried and crushed up egg shell, she gobbled that down and has been doing really well.

she is on layer ration! but maybe the snacks are distracting her... i have been saving egg shells, so now might be a good time to break them up and give them to the girls (all of them). should i put them in the litter on the floor in her cage or mix it with her layer ration? what about the 12 other girls in the coop? put them on a pie plate for them to dine?

sounds good - how much of the crushed egg shell would do? just put out all i have until i accumulate some more? also, will crushed egg shell suffice or should i get some of the oyster shell mentioned? thank you all so much for your counsel!

Back
Top Bottom