Help! My hen won't eat because my roo was being aggressive

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CaptainAwkward, Aug 29, 2014.

1. CaptainAwkward

CaptainAwkward New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    My hen has not been eating for 24 hours and I can't leave her like this. Whenever I tried feeding her, the rooster would be in the way and take all the food. My hen was trying to eat but my roo scared her off so he could take it. Now, she wouldn't get the food whenever I provide it, she'll just ignore it as if she gave up eating.

Please help..I'm really worried of her.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your hen. You need to remove the rooster. How many hens do you have? The proper ratio of rooster to hen is 1 roo to 10 hens. If you don't keep enough hens, they can become stressed, injured or even killed.

For now, separate him from her so she can regain her strength.

3. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Welcome to BYC! :pop

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :welcome. Glad you joined. Do you feed in feeders if so I would add more of them so he can't protect all the feeders at once. If you are very worried could you separate her so she would be able to feed and water in safety?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you really need this rooster? Please separate him from your hen, so she may go back to having a fairly normal chicken life. If you don't need fertile eggs to sell or hatch, there really isn't a need to have a rooster. Too many really worthwhile roosters looking for homes, there is never a reason to keep a bad one.

Your rooster may have damaged the hen in ways you haven't noticed. Check her over well from top to bottom, and part her feathers to see down to the skin. Have you tried feeding her a mashed hard boiled egg. That usually tempts them to eat. I hope she recovers from this. Please let us know

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cross posting is not allowed, as per BYC rules. FYI [​IMG] Privacy/TOS

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

If the rooster is being a problem, I'd get rid of him! You don't want your poor hens suffering due to a rooster.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions above, hope your hen is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by