HELP MY HENS WONT LAY!!!

Free Rrange Farmer

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Hi, I have got about 20 Hens and none of them will lay.
So about 4 months ago one of my hens died in the coop, and ever since none of them have layed. It's not that they're to old because they are only months passed when they should start laying. They have layed before.
Help how do I get them laying again????

How did your hen die?
Unless there was some sort of predator in the coop that made them feel unsafe, I'm not understanding why the girls would stop laying.

Are you providing oyster shell?
Are they eating layer feed?
How many nest boxes are there and where are they located?

How did your hen die?
Unless there was some sort of predator in the coop that made them feel unsafe, I'm not understanding why the girls would stop laying.

Are you providing oyster shell?
Are they eating layer feed?
How many nest boxes are there and where are they located?
They have over 15 nesting boxes and she died because the door to the coop closed and she was locked in for a couple of hours on a really hot day. They get fed Layer feed and normally it kicks them back into laying but it hasn't. they've been on that for about 2 months with no result. I haven't fed them any sort of grit before but they have layed without it.

They have over 15 nesting boxes and she died because the door to the coop closed and she was locked in for a couple of hours on a really hot day. They get fed Layer feed and normally it kicks them back into laying but it hasn't. they've been on that for about 2 months with no result. I haven't fed them any sort of grit before but they have layed without it.
Check them for mites and other parasites. Check well, they can hide very well!

and she died because the door to the coop closed and she was locked in for a couple of hours on a really hot day.
You might need to improve you ventilation in the coop?
And make sure the door cannot close on it's own.

Chances are they are laying out in range area.
Might be time for an exam;
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom