Help my Kenny please!

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
Kenny is a two year old naked neck - she was isolated as she was "jumped on" by my amorous Roo and I found her unable to walk properly - she did not show any obvious sign of damage apart from the fact that she had some scaly leg mites (which I was treating her for, I had been treating her daily for a week before the Roo incident) - she is with other hens that I am hospitalising for specific needs and has been responding well - that is until today when I noticed that her right leg is facing in a backward position - I have placed her on her bed of straw with the right leg in the correct position but she moves it backward again - she is also losing her skin - it has begun to peel away and I am treating her with a zinc based cream ( baby bum cream) to try an help her further....

I now need expert advice - am I doing the right thing? If not, what should I do to help her?

She has been treated for worm and mite/lice infections and I am lost as to what is happening with her and I would appreciate any advice as to where I go from here - I do not want to euthanase her unless it becomes necessary, I will say that I cannot take her to a Vet here - they do not treat fowl here.

Thanks for any advice anyone

Suzie

OK, I'm not a vet but a human type paramedic. You might try splinting the leg into the position. Don't force it, but if it will move on it's own, try popcycle sticks and some cloth tape and or gauze.
I'm using zinc (Desitin) for my chicken's skin as well after an attack by another chicken.

Wisdomways

Many thanks for your response - I am relieved to know that zinc is fine to apply to the skin - I will splint her leg too!

Suzie

Back
Top Bottom