Help my little monster has swollen hard abdomen

Clucky42

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
adopted a sex link chick
[/IMG] - it's almost 3 weeks old. Hatched with 3 legs, 4 feet and 2 working vents. Over the last week her belly has grown. She's growing slowly and much less energetic than her mates. She's rare and a blessing she's survived this long. Any advice? I searched chick with swollen abdomen on here and found nothing like this. She's eating and pooping fine. She had pasty vent problems but seems to have cleared up. She also needed to have the brooder 10° warmer than the others. But seems to be maintaining her temp better now. Help. I don't want to lose her

Here's a close up of both vents. I know she's young and shouldn't be bathed but it seems to be helping with the swelling. I'm keeping the bath water brooder warm and will dry her in a warm towel and blow dryer. She loves it. What's going on here? As I hold her in the warm Epsom salt bath I feel her abdomen size reducing and her crops yes- two crops are full.

You have a poor animal that was never meant to be and is probably in horrible pain. My best advice would be to end it humanely.

Clearly this little chick is conjoined. Does it have one head or two? The swelling may be due to the fact that most of the organs are duplicated but others may be a shared single organ that is putting stress on the bird's system. The only way to know for sure is to have an x-ray or some type of imaging done to know for sure.

She was doing great until today. I would never let her suffer- she doesn't seem to be in pain. I have culled my chickens that were in pain or suffering especially when there is no option. I have to try something to help. She made it this far and was doing well till today.
She has one head and the only duplicate organs she has appear to be the digestive ones. Only one heart and set of lungs.

Well she passed just now. RIP little freak baby. It was a miracle she lived this long. I feel like I should preserve her body. Anyone know of a place that will do this? How should I preserve her till then?

Well she passed just now. RIP little freak baby. It was a miracle she lived this long. I feel like I should preserve her body. Anyone know of a place that will do this? How should I preserve her till then?
Thanks for sharing. Maybe try formaldehyde?

-Kathy

You can refrigerate for now. I agree with Kathy - Formaldehyde. RIP sweet thing. Sorry the little chick passed. Most likely too much stress on the shared organs.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom