HELP! My Lop-sided Lucy is vomiting!!!

So, so, so many helpful words here. But I just have one thing to say: chickens DO vomit! Poor Lucy is vomiting yellow, runny stuff. If gets worse if I try to pick her up to move her. She's just not a darn bit better this morning, and I, of course, have to go to work. I'm going to leave her in the garage, separate from the others and try to get the crop cleaned out when I come home at 1:00.
Thanks so much to all of you for your help. Please pray for my lop-sided Lucy!

Quote:
No sweetie, they don't vomit. And chickens, unlike some other birds, don't regurgitate. But I didn't mean that you're not seeing what looks *like vomiting* and I apologize if you thought I was saying you're not seeing something serious. I always knew you are. Just, technically vomiting involves a sort of peristalysis (contraction of the throat) and upheaval of contents from the type of stomach that our birds don't have. It's important as chicken owners that we understand how those things work, so I misworded as I was trying to help you learn more stuff about Lucy.

Your bird has a soured crop and is flinging the contents out. Of course, as you know, that's very serious and scary. It's not natural, and I'm glad to hear that it'll be cleaned out as you're planning to do tonight. That's the only way you'll heal her. Otherwise, the contents would have continued to sour and poison her.

Cleaning out crops, to me, is just frightening. I've yet to be able to do the full-out crop flush. I have, however, turned them over and emptied the crop and then done the whole follow-up care thing. If you find you can't do the whole baking soda thing, at least do the emptying part. And of course the followup of probiotics (absolutely necessary), OACV (the vinegar will help clean up the toxins), etc. And remember - only easily dissolved foods. The food she eats for the next couple of weeks should fall completely apart if placed in water. That's the test for dissolvability.

You'll definitely have my prayers and good vibes and all of that for your night tonight. Think positive and let that positive and calm feeling flow through you into her. She knows you're trying to help her.

Just FYI, Lucy doesn't have a sour crop: She has an intestinal tumor and there's nothing the vet can do for her. Tonight will be my last night with Lucy. Tomorrow she will go to heaven. It is positively heartbreaking.

hugs.gif
So sorry to hear this.

Back
Top Bottom