Help! My new born Pekin Duck isn't able to walk? Foot still curled?

JennyHendley

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2021
My newborn Pekin duck has just hatched about 3 hours ago. Her little foot is still curled like it would be in the egg and she isn't able to stand/walk properly yet. She seems to be fine....as I can't find anything else that seems wrong? Is there anything I can do to help her? Should I be worried?

At 3 hours post hatch, she may just be weak from hatching. 🙂 If her foot is still looking curled tomorrow, this post has helpful instructions for how to try to correct it.
Thanks so much! She (if she's a she of course. :) ) seems strong enough just can't walk properly. She's currently curled up with her brother/sister that was born 48 hours ago and they are cuddled together so hopefully they will support eachother. I'll keep my eye on any changes. Thank you so much!!!

Her little feet open up when i use my fingers to spread them, they just curl back like this. Like a wrinkle in a shirt that you just can't get out. Should I wait until tomorrow before trying the painters tape method?

Attachments

• Duck Feet.jpg
    Duck Feet.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
Thank you again! I’ve done the tape and she’s actually able to stand and walk now. Lions funny of course lol. How long do I leave the tape on for?

That's great! :highfive:

I'd check in a few days and re-apply if still needed. A vitamin supplement like Rooster Booster Vitamins And Electrolytes with Lactobacillus or Poultry Nutri-Drench may also help, especially if there's a nutritional deficiency involved.

Best wishes for her feet to grow stronger and straighten out soon! 🤞

Back
Top Bottom