Help! My peafowl peep is walking sideways!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by CochinQueen6, Jan 8, 2013.

1. CochinQueen6

CochinQueen6 New Egg

Jan 8, 2013
    I don't know what is wrong with her. She's white and only 4 months old. We gave her a separate dish of water from the 4 others that she is with. She drank some and seems to be doing a little better. But is still walking funny.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Does she have any other symptoms?

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Not sure what could be going on with her. When you say "walking funny", what do you mean? Stumbling? Walking sideways? Unsteady balance?

4. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    I would guess it has worms.. You need Ivermectian or goat wormer ( panacure ) ,, soon or it will die. You can get these at most farm or feed stores ,,about 3/4 cc of ivermec (1% ) orally ,, DO NOT put it in the wind pipe.. This can also be injected under the skin on the neck Panacure does not take as much maybe 1/4 cc same ways .. I have done this a number of times but by the time they are walkiing sidways and will not get up.. they dont have much time left. As I have not seen the bird I am only guessing, based on my experiance. It would be a good idea to start a worming scheduel on the rest of the birds. It could be cocsid. ,,.. what does the stools look like ? In blackhead they normally just up an die with out much warning. good luck let us all know ..... George @ connerhills

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by