HELP my quail chicks wing is backwards

Trinny

Chirping
Nov 3, 2017
hey this is my first time with quail 5 have hatched fine but one of them was really struggling even tho It was pretty much hatched I peeled of the membrane that was stuck to its fethers because it was drying and getting stuck when I noticed it’s wing was completely bent the wrong way compared to the other one I’m panicking now what should I do!!!!
76FD2F6F-73B6-4761-B295-066860853D47.jpeg

It looks like it needs more membrane cleaned off, first. Give it a sponge bath with hot water (the temp you feel is a hot bath to you would be perfect, if you don't want to take a thermometer to it, but birds' body temps are generally 105 to 109). Stick it back in the incubator to dry off. Once it's dry, if the wing hasn't gone back the way it belongs, you can use a self-stick gauze (like Coban brand, or sports tape, that onoy sticks to itself), take 1 inch wide strips, gently lay the wing down the way it belongs, and wrap the wrap over the wing and across its body along the abdomen, to hold the wing still while it heals. A non-food color would be best, like white or black or even yellow, not green or red.

Be careful not to make it so tight that it interferes with her breathing or eating. Also watch out to make sure the others don't try to tug it off of her. And just keep a close eye on her to make sure she's eating and drinking and moving in and out of the hottest areas of the brooder.

It looks like it needs more membrane cleaned off, first. Give it a sponge bath with hot water (the temp you feel is a hot bath to you would be perfect, if you don't want to take a thermometer to it, but birds' body temps are generally 105 to 109). Stick it back in the incubator to dry off. Once it's dry, if the wing hasn't gone back the way it belongs, you can use a self-stick gauze (like Coban brand, or sports tape, that onoy sticks to itself), take 1 inch wide strips, gently lay the wing down the way it belongs, and wrap the wrap over the wing and across its body along the abdomen, to hold the wing still while it heals. A non-food color would be best, like white or black or even yellow, not green or red.

Be careful not to make it so tight that it interferes with her breathing or eating. Also watch out to make sure the others don't try to tug it off of her. And just keep a close eye on her to make sure she's eating and drinking and moving in and out of the hottest areas of the brooder.
Awsome ok thankyou so much for replying I have some blue sports tape that I could use I’ll go do it now so dose the wrap go across the other wing

You're very welcome. Quail are pretty sturdy little birds, even as tiny as they are, so when her broken or dislocated wing heals, she should be fine.

You should never pull the tape off to replace it, but carefully work scissors underneath it, somewhere where you won't accidentally cut her, and snip it off.

I don't know how long it will take for her bone to set, as little as she is. Just keep checking it, like once a week, or however often it gets so dirty it needs replacing.

You're very welcome. Quail are pretty sturdy little birds, even as tiny as they are, so when her broken or dislocated wing heals, she should be fine.

You should never pull the tape off to replace it, but carefully work scissors underneath it, somewhere where you won't accidentally cut her, and snip it off.

I don't know how long it will take for her bone to set, as little as she is. Just keep checking it, like once a week, or however often it gets so dirty it needs replacing.
Thankyou I need some advice agin but on a different chick it’s just come out the egg but it’s feet are curled up and the toes are curled up and the chicks that have been hatching in the last 4 hours are struggling

Thankyou I need some advice agin but on a different chick it’s just come out the egg but it’s feet are curled up and the toes are curled up and the chicks that have been hatching in the last 4 hours are struggling

did they all hatch a little early or a little late? make sure you have an accurate thermometer, it may be that the temp is off.

Back
Top Bottom