Help!!! My Roo Is Injured And Bleeding Badly!!!

Miss Sebright

Little Hen.....Big Attitude!
12 Years
Apr 3, 2009
In a nutshell
I have too roos and they were getting along fine (they each have their own hens), untill today. Now on is nearly missing his wattles and is bleeding profussly. I washed each and they are both wrapped in towels right now. Im worried about my OEGB roo pipin, he is weezing quietly and sleeping. He won't eat or drink. Most of his injuries are onis face. I put flour on them, but Im at a loss. Now what? Please Help me!

Last edited:
hit.gif
Pease! I don't know what to do!

Keep the wound clean and let him rest. Put him someplace warm and give him some old clean towels to lay on. Make sure he has water and food (water is most important) and monitor him closely. He is probably in shock but with good care he will come out of it. Make him some scrambled eggs and try some treats such as scratch or even a few (too many cause diarrhea) cut up grapes to give him some fluids and to get his appetite going.

DO you have any blood stop powder for birds or cats or dogs? Can you borrow some from a friend or neighbor. They always seem to get sick or hurt on holidays or weekends or at night don't they? If you can't get blood stop flour should work and if necessary hold pressure on the wound.

You won't be able to put him back with the other rooster. You'll have to keep them seperate or rehome one of them. You can PM me if I can help more. A lot of people aren't on tonight because of the holiday.

purpletree has good advice. The flour was quick thinking too. It's always a good idea to keep some quick-stop powder on hand for wounds like that. I keep some in a bottle in the kitchen just in case. You can get it at a pet shop or co-op.

I can't add much to tree's advice, except perhaps to suggest some electrolytes in the water; my vet recommends Gatorade at half strength, and I also keep some specialty powder from McMurray (AviaCharge) on hand. Keep the injured fellow(s) separated, quiet and in a warm, safe place.

Tomorrow check the wounds, and you may wish to wash the wounds and/or put antibiotic cream on them. Do not use benzocaine, or any other "caine."

Breathe, relax, enjoy Christmas, and let your birds rest.
smile.png
Remember that some game bird folks "dub" their birds - - they can survive just fine without waddles.

Last edited:
Thank you! I know I'll have to dub him, they're pretty torn up, but I'm a bit nervous to do so. I don't have any blood stop powder, flour is the best I have. He still won't take food or fluids. I'll keep trying. Tanks again!

Keep them warm and dark to keep quite if theres puncture wounds we have used superglue to seal the holes but you have to get the bleeding to stop to be able to adhere. The key is going to keep him warm if hes in shock. Put him under a heat lamp or in the house but keep him warm he'll eat when hes hungery.

When my Rooster got hurt from fighting each other, I rub their wounds with Iodine. Used Qtip drip into iodine and rub all over the wound and give them one aspirin, it works for me everytime. Hope it helps:)

All the above advice is the best. Keep him quiet and warm and he'll probably be just fine. It will take a few days and you'll never be able to keep them together again, unfortunately. Try giving him a few treats...chopped boiled egg, yogurt, warm oatmeal, etc....

Back
Top Bottom