Help my Roo is sick (NOT EATING NOW) [UPDATE] He passed

If Rudy does not make it, you NEED to take him to the State to have a necropsy done, for the sake of your birds and any birds that are in your area.
I hope his condition improves. You've received a lot of good information for the previous posts, but I can not stress enough how important it is to get a necropsy. Please call an avian vet in your area to see where you can drop him off, should he pass.
Good luck and keep us updated.

most likely his droppings are green due to not eating..(undiluted bile).

if you have any grower feed or chick feed (non-medicated)...mix with some warm water, roll into small pellets, place in mouth, stroke neck downwards to encourage swallowing.

if you don't have the above type of feed, use a little layer feed mixed with regular oatmeal made with water, and a little chopped egg yolk...feed as above.

crush 1 plain aspirin (325mg) into 1 quart of water..
give by eye dropper on beak as anti-inflammatory.

continue with the Poly-vi-sol.

fingers crossed for your roo.

i had a sick Roo that would not eat and I was told to feed him Bread with butter milk over it and if he dont eat it open his beak and put it in his mouth I did mine 3times a day and by the next day he was eating on his own sometimes they eat something that upsets they belly and the butter milk coast the belly

I very sorry about Rudy I bet he was a lovly rooster. Just think now he is in chicken heaven. Healthy and happy.

:aww...so very sorry to hear your news. please remember to ensure there is another feed source other than layer ration for your roos (they will avoid the layer ration and eat from the other feed source >smething like grower would be acceptable)
... dependent on other elements of their diet (which could possibly offset the high calcium content of the layer ration) the high calcium will cause kidney damage which in this instance is reason NOT to give aspirin ... Unless there is a situation where it can be surmised that a bird is in PAIN such as a wound or in lameness or such, aspirin should NOT be given simply because the bird is sick.... if you even suspect a condition where there might be kidney or liver disfunction do not give aspirin.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for everything. Just talking to everyone here helps with the loss of Rudy. He was a very special roo. Even thought he was a banty he sure didn't think he was. He would just let my daughter do whatever she wanted to do to him. She even had a small doll's hat on him on day and he didn't mind a bit.

Thanks again for everything. BYC members are the best.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom