**********Help my rooster attacks my hens STILL ********

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marcheterrem95, Aug 23, 2011.

1. marcheterrem95

marcheterrem95 New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    my rooster stood on top of my hen and continued to peck its head repeditivley while the hen tryed to lift her head up with cry's of pain so trying to protect my bird i gave him a good smack and he went tubling off and then hid in the coop . what shood i do??? tonite i seperated them for the night but im not sure if i should give him away? put him down? idont know please help

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I am in the process of getting ready to take some roosters to auction, some for the very same reason. Maybe you should considder it too.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Yeah, that doesn't sound pleasant at all. Some back of the neck feathers grabbing is normal, I think, but this sounds weird. Anyone know if they "grow" out of this behavior? Or should he become a main ingredient in chicken casserole? [​IMG]

I feel your pain, I'm attached to my surprise roo, but if he keeps attacking me I may learn to butcher a rooster.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

He is attempting to mate with her. Some roosters are rougher than others.

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I personally do not think thats normal behavior for mating. Although Im not a expert I do know some. As hard as it is I would not let that gene pas on and I would have to have someone to "cull" him. I wouldnt be able to do it myself. [​IMG]

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, I agree with Katy. Young roosters are just like teenage boys. They will grow out of it. If he damages pullets, pen him alone until he`s a year old. After that he should be more gentle.........Pop

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It is very normal behavior for a lot of young cockerals. Some of them get more manners as time goes on while some don't.

Like Pop said....they're the equivalant of teen-age boys.

8. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    The combination of burly teenage roos trying to mate with smallish, not-ready females is pretty hard to deal with. I agree that this will probably get better given a little time. A week in chicken jail seemed to calm my roo down a little. Hope it lasts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by