Help! My Rooster Has an Ingrown Feather????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicknThief, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    There is this large swollen lump at the base of Baby's tail. It looks for all the world like an ingrown feather. The red lump thing on top is about a quarter inch, which is on top of a quarter SIZED half inch tall lump. There is nothing you can express from the red lump, as you would a ingrown hair, it is as hard as a rock. I can't even get the skin off to see of there is a feather shaft. If we can find no solution, we will be culling him. He is a double frizzle, and has all kinds of feather/skin problems. It is constantly an issue. Please Help!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, he is a banty. A quarter sized swelling is huge for such a tiny chicken.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Try making a paste out of sugar with a little water and apply it. A vet told me to use it to take down inflammation with a chick and it worked great. It cant hurt [​IMG]

3. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I'll try that right away! Anyone else???

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Double frizzles are often plagued with these problems I dont know what you hould do.

Good Luck

Henry

5. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Okay, I did the sugar thing, but I have a question. Will the other chickens Pick him??? I'm hoping that they just wont notice...

Thanks Lurky and Henry. [​IMG]

But still, anyone else??? I really don't wanna cull him, but I know that it would be unfair to him to let these problems go on. [​IMG]

6. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I have a notion that's not an ingrown hair and is completely normal. Two of my chickens, who are moulting and have fully visible derrieres, have the same little knob as yours does, in the same place. There's probably a name for it, but I don't think this is something to be too concerned about.

7. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I'm not entirely sure. It seems to be very painful. Whenever we touch him anywhere near that spot he screams. Let me clarify. He is one of the sweetest chickens we own, and he usually loves to be held and pet. This whole screaming thing is highly out of character.... He could just be being a "Drama Roo" but who knows.

Blue Moon: on your chickens, does this spot seem sore??? Also, how fast did this grow on them???

I guess I should have mentioned this before:

This grew AMAZINGLY fast. I noticed a small red bump the other night and went to go check on him the next morning and the bump had tripled in size and there was a huge, swollen mass beneath it. Trust me, those pics do not do this thing justice.

edited for sp

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you have ever plucked a chicken you would know that little red thing sticking out is standard fair. I have always been told it was part of an oil gland.

9. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I thought it was the oil gland too. I was unsure if I should post that until someone else did that has had chickens longer than me. I saw the same thing on my chickens and I was told thats what that was. [​IMG]

10. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Hmmm...Well alright then! I sure hope you guys are right!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by