Help my rooster wont stop attacking me and wont back down

Should I get rid of him and start with a new rooster / male chick next year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lots of good advice here. Let me begin by saying I love roosters. I have close to 25 right now in my flock of 58 birds and not a cull in the bunch. It wasn't easy getting them to this stage. I've rehomed more than one to a soup kettle for aggression, which I will not tolerate, especially when the birds are big and powerful.

How do I do it? I handle my roosters a lot when they are young. I get them to the point where I can pick them up without them going postal from chickhood on up to adulthood. When they get to be of an age where they are showing an interest in the ladies is when I have to keep an eye on them. The slightest of infractions of behavior, even a playful peck and he is picked up, dangled by his ankles, when he stops struggling, he is put into a dominant down position with his chest to the ground until he submits. I do this every time he steps out of line until he learns to avoid being picked up by staying out of my reach. Roosters hate to be carried around and will learn to avoid you doing it to them.

I do have to say I've had my share of ankle and leg attacks and I do apply the same method no matter what the infraction is from a rooster. I now have roosters with three inch long spurs (I really need to trim them) and trust me, it is no fun having one of those things dug into your leg. Infection is a given and a long healing time a fact. SO if you want to attempt to calm down your Rebel Rooster, you need to start now and get serious with him so he at least learns to avoid you when you are around him.

Now for my flock, here is where it gets a bit weird. I've only noticed aggression in my standard sized birds. The bantams are little gentlemen who know when they see me they are going to get pets and if they are really good boys, treats once a day so they flock to my side when I enter the coop. The standard sized roosters are the aggressors BUT, what I have noticed is that if you can get them to respect you without any major behavior infractions past 18 months of age, they tend to tame down on their own.

Only you know if your rooster is responding to reconditioning. I agree. DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK on your current rooster. Ever! He is not to be trusted the way he is and only time and a lot of effort will maybe work some of the rough spots off of him. Right now he sees you as a threat to the hens and his position over them so he is fighting you. I would also make it a point to pick up the hens and show him that they are your hens and you are just loaning them to him. He isn't going to like it. Keep your pool noodle at hand and apply it liberally if he even comes near you while holding a hen. Even if he is genetically aggressive, he will think of you as being the biggest baddest rooster in the yard if you act the part.

Keep in mind that as you have not worked with this rooster since he was hatched, he is never going to be a gentle pet but if you really want to keep him (or your mom does) you are going to have to at least get him to the point that he stays out of your reach when you enter his domain.

And yes. absolutely no children around this bird. If you have a little bro, sis or cousin make sure the rooster is penned up before allowing them to feed or handle the hens. Google rooster attack damage to children's faces and look at the pictures that come up. You cannot fault a rooster for acting like a hormonal jerk. It's what they have been programmed to be but you can protect yourself and the little ones from his aggression.

If he doesn't respond to serious reconditioning after say 1 month. Time to go. There are so many really nice roosters out there that will take care of your hens and not be aggressive to you just begging for a forever home to put up with bad behavior that will not respond to training.

Good luck, and stay safe.

I did what @microchick talked about. Dangling them upside down, etc.
He will keep his distance from me, but when my back is turned he will attack.
He watched and waited across the pen, and ran across to jump on my 2 and a half year old little girl. That is when he signed his death sentence.

In my opinion: Once they become "manfighters" then its time for them to go. They can never be trusted 100% again. I wont have them attacking my wife, or children, OR ME either for that matter.

Had one of those attack roosters. He was a beautiful Delaware that went from friend to foe almost overnight. I did everything to no avail. He would see me coming and wait at the gate ready to pounce. He was invited to last year's Thanksgiving dinner.

Unless you can be 100% sure children will have no access to him, you have no choice.

Sounds as though you gave him every chance. For the most part my system works with my birds. Of the 30 + cockerels and roosters I've worked with, only 2 have had to be culled and killed. The rest have all come around to my way of thinking, lol. Those two decided to forgo the usual back of the leg attack and went for my head when I bent over. They went to an Amish neighbor for Sunday dinner. I think they decided to keep one for breeding. Separated one settled down.

DH witnessed a Welsummer rooster attempt a rear end assault on me, rushed into the run and applied a boot to the rooster's tail feathers. Rooster suddenly found himself on the far side of the run and never tried that again.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you have to do. And sometimes it ain't pretty.

And hopefully it won't come down to some child losing his eye due to negligence. That would make for an easily won lawsuit. KEEP KIDS AWAY FROM THIS ROOSTER.

When at the moment he is being good, just a bit too friendly.

Lots of good advice here. Let me begin by saying I love roosters. I have close to 25 right now in my flock of 58 birds and not a cull in the bunch. It wasn't easy getting them to this stage. I've rehomed more than one to a soup kettle for aggression, which I will not tolerate, especially when the birds are big and powerful.

How do I do it? I handle my roosters a lot when they are young. I get them to the point where I can pick them up without them going postal from chickhood on up to adulthood. When they get to be of an age where they are showing an interest in the ladies is when I have to keep an eye on them. The slightest of infractions of behavior, even a playful peck and he is picked up, dangled by his ankles, when he stops struggling, he is put into a dominant down position with his chest to the ground until he submits. I do this every time he steps out of line until he learns to avoid being picked up by staying out of my reach. Roosters hate to be carried around and will learn to avoid you doing it to them.

I do have to say I've had my share of ankle and leg attacks and I do apply the same method no matter what the infraction is from a rooster. I now have roosters with three inch long spurs (I really need to trim them) and trust me, it is no fun having one of those things dug into your leg. Infection is a given and a long healing time a fact. SO if you want to attempt to calm down your Rebel Rooster, you need to start now and get serious with him so he at least learns to avoid you when you are around him.

Now for my flock, here is where it gets a bit weird. I've only noticed aggression in my standard sized birds. The bantams are little gentlemen who know when they see me they are going to get pets and if they are really good boys, treats once a day so they flock to my side when I enter the coop. The standard sized roosters are the aggressors BUT, what I have noticed is that if you can get them to respect you without any major behavior infractions past 18 months of age, they tend to tame down on their own.

Only you know if your rooster is responding to reconditioning. I agree. DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK on your current rooster. Ever! He is not to be trusted the way he is and only time and a lot of effort will maybe work some of the rough spots off of him. Right now he sees you as a threat to the hens and his position over them so he is fighting you. I would also make it a point to pick up the hens and show him that they are your hens and you are just loaning them to him. He isn't going to like it. Keep your pool noodle at hand and apply it liberally if he even comes near you while holding a hen. Even if he is genetically aggressive, he will think of you as being the biggest baddest rooster in the yard if you act the part.

Keep in mind that as you have not worked with this rooster since he was hatched, he is never going to be a gentle pet but if you really want to keep him (or your mom does) you are going to have to at least get him to the point that he stays out of your reach when you enter his domain.

And yes. absolutely no children around this bird. If you have a little bro, sis or cousin make sure the rooster is penned up before allowing them to feed or handle the hens. Google rooster attack damage to children's faces and look at the pictures that come up. You cannot fault a rooster for acting like a hormonal jerk. It's what they have been programmed to be but you can protect yourself and the little ones from his aggression.

If he doesn't respond to serious reconditioning after say 1 month. Time to go. There are so many really nice roosters out there that will take care of your hens and not be aggressive to you just begging for a forever home to put up with bad behavior that will not respond to training.

Good luck, and stay safe.

thank for the info

Back
Top Bottom