Help My Rooster!

jessntim0831

Hatching
Nov 6, 2021
Hello! About 2 weeks ago I noticed my rooster starting favoring one leg. It's like he doesn't want to put pressure on the other leg. When I went into the coop a few days ago he was curled up and had been pecked on his comb by some of our hens. I brought him inside and made him a comfy box with blankets and a heating light. I also put food and fresh water as well as a small bowl of grit. He's eating, drinking, his comb is big plump and bright red, and his feathers are nice and shiny. When he goes to stand his one leg just seems to slide out from under him and into the front of him. He has also been shaking his head from time to time. His poo seems normal and his isn't sneezing or coughing. I did notice he has stopped crowing since 2 weeks ago when the leg thing started. When I talk to him he does make small soft chicken noises. He does flap his wings from time to time as well. When I hold him he closes his eyes like he is sleeping. He almost seems over tired. I've starting giving him vitamin B complex and powder in his water for electrolytes and vitamins. Overall he doesn't seem extremely ill I'm at a loss...help!

He may have sprained or pulled a muscle in his leg. As for the head shaking, I suggest looking for mites or lice as chickens shake their heads to get rid of irritants.

Back
Top Bottom