Help my sad Indian runner!

Vickers58

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Dallas, tx
We were kind of duped by a poultry farmer who was supposed to bring us 3 khaki Campbell ducklings. Instead he dumped off two ducklings without knowing the breed and a pretty banged up full grown Indian Runner .

We were equipped to handle the ducklings but now were frantically trying to find shelter for the runner( his name is Richard). We quickly put together a run for him to fun around in but he mainly hides! We also placed a cardboard hut for him to feel safe in during all of these new changes. At night we have been placing him in a covered dog crate.

I think he is lonely. Yesterday we let the ducklings in with the older runner. His spirits seemed to improve and he would join them for a swim . We tried it again today... And Richard hid in his box the whole day.

Does anyone have any advice on making my Richard cheer up? Should I just be patient? Or will he bond with the babies?

He could have been treated poorly or neglected before you got him. Don't give up on him, he will come around, liken it to the way a young child would feel on the first day at a new school. He doesn't know anybody yet but will soon come out of his shell (no pun intended). Also, keep in mind that many poultry farmers seem to only see them as a way to make a buck and often forget they are another of GOD's beautiful creatures. This being said, your poor duckie was probably never given any love or affection of any kind. GOD bless you and may your little one live a long and happy life!

Try spending time with Richard maybe offering some dried meal worms or thawed peas if he won't take them from you place them in his water pail or on the ground. But like the other poster said it doesn't sound like Richard had a very good life, Bless you for caring and wanting to help him. Hopefully with some TLC and visits with the ducklings will bring him around.

Take it slowly, Richard will need to learn that you are different. I find talking and singing to the ducks is something they seem to respond to - and they don't care if I don't carry a tune very well.

If you can make regular time to sit with him, offer treats, and just be near him. If you do handwork (knit, crochet, sew), or read, that might be time to sit near him.

He may never be cuddly, but I will guess he can learn to enjoy your company and respond well to your attention.

My husband went and got Richard a mirror last night...and he IMMEDIATELY perked up! He was just lonely for another adult duck! The ducklings just don't meet his social needs! I am so happy that he is now happy!!

My husband went and got Richard a mirror last night...and he IMMEDIATELY perked up! He was just lonely for another adult duck! The ducklings just don't meet his social needs! I am so happy that he is now happy!!

That is just so precious, I would keep letting him have contact with the ducklings though hopefully they will be his flock mates soon.

oh yes! he is with the ducklings now...and the mirror! Before he would just sulk in a hiding spot... but now he is actively taking part of the group!

Back
Top Bottom