HELP!! My silkie won't eat, drink, move

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your bird looks very sick and is probably dehydrated and *maybe* hypothermic. Are her feet and legs cold or warm to the touch? Can you tube feed?
Her feet are warm. I agree, I think she is dehydrated. I don't know how to tube feed. I just keep spraying the water with the syringe on her beak, not nostrils, and she gets a little.

I think a bath will kill her, so if you want to rule out egg problems, why not just put on a glove, get some KY Jelly and check for an egg that way? Much safer for the bird and very easy to do.
Am I just feeling for an egg? She is very petite so I hope I don't hurt her.

I use my pinky finger when I check my Old English Game Bantams. You want to check for an egg or other masses, but be gentle and don't force your finger in.

If you keep giving water like you are be very careful, they can aspirate very easy that way.

Ok now she is sleeping standing up. I didn't feel anything when I checked her. She has had very small but normal poop. She is still not eating or drinking.

I talked to a lady at the feed store and she suggested it might be a lung infection caused by panting from the heat that gets fluids in their lungs. She recommended Duramycin so I gave her some this morning. She didnt seem much different but I took her to the run and put her in front if her food and she ate a little. She refuses to drink though. I am horrible at getting her mouth open to drop the medicine in and I think she doesn't trust me anymore. I'm at a loss on what to do. I don't know how often to give her the Duramycin but feel bad bugging the feed store lady. Thanks for asking, sorry for the long reply.

I had this same thing happen to my white silky chicken as well. She was 1&1/2 years old and it's June now- very warm outside so she wasn't hypothermic. She stopped walking, then stopped eating and drinking. I had to oral syringe water drops into her mouth but she died last night.
She looked just like yours did!
I know coccidiosis is a common ailment Arizona chickens get but I'm unsure that's what happened. Did yours make it????

You want to learn how to tube feed? I can teach you, but you'll have to get a few things first.
Can you please send me a message with instructions on how to tube feed a chicken ASAP, my 6 month old silkie rooster refuses to eat anything and I cant figure out what's wrong otherwise since he looks perfectly normal besides acting lethargic and not eating or drinking. He also wont walk and just hunkers down like he's dying. It's breaking my heart to see him like that, please let me know about the tube feeding, thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom