Help, my teenage cockerel is out of control!

Apr 17, 2022
Southern West Virginia
I spent a couple hours reading similar threads trying to find an answer because I know this is a fairly common issue, but I still have a few unanswered questions. Your help is Greatly appreciated! I have 3 cockerels, 2 BR and 1 BCM, along with 15 pullets, BR, EE, and BCM's. They are all 13 weeks old and we were only supposed to have 2 BR cockerels but one of my 3 BCMs pullets ended up not being a pullet (mistakes happen, no biggie). I was super happy about the mistaken case of gender identity in the beginning because I had regretted not getting a BCM male to start with (I think they are the most handsome rooster!). In the last few weeks 2 of the 3 cockerels have started crowing, and started some mating behaviors. My BCM male has gotten completely crazy in the last week with chasing and biting the back of a few of my pullets necks. Of course, none of the females are interested in this behavior at all. He doesn't seem to bother the female BR's or BCM's but 4 of my easter egger pullets are still pretty small and he seems to be terrorizing them the most. They have figured out if they go inside the coop and roost he can't really hurt them but this is becoming a problem because it is where they stay. We had treat time with meal worms yesterday and they did not even come out for that. My chicks are in a run during the day that is a pretty good size for everyone when they are getting along. My plan was to wait until the cockerels had gotten a bit better with their crowing and then let them free range some during the day when I am outside working. The BR cockerel that is crowing is biting some but not to the point that anyone is stressed out over him. The bad behavior does not go on constantly, there are plenty of times throughout the day I look up and see them all happy and sunbathing but, when the bad behavior starts it turns to a stressful situation for the birds (and me) pretty quickly.
I know the BCM cockerel probably needs separated from the flock, but that is where my problem gets sticky. I do not have a place to put him and my husband works 6 days a week on evening shift. He took vacation so we could get the coop and run built when the chicks were babies so building something immediately is not realistic. We are starting construction of our barn next week but it will be weeks before it is ready. Culling or rehoming is not something I am ready to do yet either, because I know his hormones are raging and he really cannot help himself. He has shown no aggression towards people at all, he even runs from me when I get too close to him. I know he will very likely grow out of this stage and could still become a great rooster. I want to give him his best chance. One option I have is to let him free range during the day but if I do that can I put him back in the coop at night, or will he just try to make up for lost time away from the girls and disrupt their roosting/sleeping. I do have a large size dog crate that he could stay in at night but again, if we take that option, do we put the crate in the coop where he can be seen at night too or just put it in a safe spot elsewhere. I am also willing to try to let them all free range during the day and see if having more space and things to do makes him chill out a bit. I should also add that I checked the girls that he is biting the most yesterday and they don't have any bald spots or areas of broken skin, however I have seen him with many a beakful of feathers! Our farm is 16 acres with about 2 that we mow and the chicks can free range on safely.
Sorry for the long winded post, and thank you for taking the time to read it, I am grateful for any insight you can give me! I included a photo of the handsome terror himself!

Attachments

• 20220628_192307.jpg
    20220628_192307.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 29
Flock mates, without older birds can really become a wreck. Wishing they would all be nice, does not work. The reality is that there is a real possibility that some or all of these roosters may not work out.

Today's behavior is no indicator of tomorrows with cockerels. The biting is not a good sign. Being raised together has no real effect of cockerel's behavior either. Inexperienced people often times vastly underestimate the violence of an attack, and often times do not pick up on the signs of aggression or make excuses for them.

Do you have young children? Under the age of 6, if so, I strongly recommend culling all the roosters, kids often times take the attack in the face and head.

Sourland is right, the only real solution is separation. But do not be surprised, if when you pull out one cockerel, if the other cockerel's behavior does not change. It might be a good idea to pull out all three of them.

With 15 pullets, I would only recommend 1 rooster. If this is your first year, or you have small kids, I would recommend no roosters.
. I know he will very likely grow out of this stage and could still become a great rooster. I want to give him his best chance.
This is a very common thought, but in reality this bird is giving off some bad signs already and more than likely is not going to be a great rooster. Culling is hard, we all know that, people that come here, tend to love having chickens. But most of us will say, we put off too long culling the first rotten rooster. There is a tendency to feel guilty for an aggressive bird that one raised. Know that it is not something you did. Roosters are a crap shoot, I have been in this game for decades, and some just do not work out.

Try separating them. If you can't separate them, then remove them from the flock. They can kill pullets, and their antics are going to get much worse, for months. A miserable life for your pullets.

Goodness, this post is too long. But what does your run look like? Is it full of clutter with hideouts, multiple level perches, platforms, mini walls, multiple feed stations? Those things can help.

Mrs K

Agree 100%!
Cockerels raised in flocks having mature hens, and best a mature rooster, tend to develop better manners. Lots of humble pie!!!
Separating all three cockerels, maybe permanently, would be good. Your pullets don't deserve this!
Free ranging can be good, but your comment about the mowed grass being the best area is all wrong. It's not normal chicken habitat, they like shade, shrubs, and tree cover, with the bugs and stuff in the ground below. It's also prime hawk hunting grounds, with no protection at all. Be ready to have some losses free ranging, it's part of the story.
Mary

Flock mates, without older birds can really become a wreck. Wishing they would all be nice, does not work. The reality is that there is a real possibility that some or all of these roosters may not work out.

Today's behavior is no indicator of tomorrows with cockerels. The biting is not a good sign. Being raised together has no real effect of cockerel's behavior either. Inexperienced people often times vastly underestimate the violence of an attack, and often times do not pick up on the signs of aggression or make excuses for them.

Do you have young children? Under the age of 6, if so, I strongly recommend culling all the roosters, kids often times take the attack in the face and head.

Sourland is right, the only real solution is separation. But do not be surprised, if when you pull out one cockerel, if the other cockerel's behavior does not change. It might be a good idea to pull out all three of them.

With 15 pullets, I would only recommend 1 rooster. If this is your first year, or you have small kids, I would recommend no roosters.

This is a very common thought, but in reality this bird is giving off some bad signs already and more than likely is not going to be a great rooster. Culling is hard, we all know that, people that come here, tend to love having chickens. But most of us will say, we put off too long culling the first rotten rooster. There is a tendency to feel guilty for an aggressive bird that one raised. Know that it is not something you did. Roosters are a crap shoot, I have been in this game for decades, and some just do not work out.

Try separating them. If you can't separate them, then remove them from the flock. They can kill pullets, and their antics are going to get much worse, for months. A miserable life for your pullets.

Goodness, this post is too long. But what does your run look like? Is it full of clutter with hideouts, multiple level perches, platforms, mini walls, multiple feed stations?

Goodness, this post is too long. But what does your run look like? Is it full of clutter with hideouts, multiple level perches, platforms, mini walls, multiple feed stations? Those things can help.

Mrs K
Thank You for your insight! We do not have any children here, ours are all adults. No grandkids yet either, so we are safe on the kid front.
I know that 3 males was too many for the 15 pullets, when we ordered 2, it was basically in case one didn't live or work out. We ended up with 3 unintentionally and I was just hoping to get really lucky and have them all work out.
Our run is 30x8 (we will be expanding immediately after barn building project is over), and they were very happy until this Cockerel hit puberty. There are multiple feeding stations, waterers, grit bowls, and platform, ladders, tree branches...places to hide and/or get away.
I will separate the two males for now and wait to see how the other one does as he gets older. When we free range them (just for a few hours a day) do we still need to keep them apart or should that be a trial and error thing and separate if still necessary?

Agree 100%!
Cockerels raised in flocks having mature hens, and best a mature rooster, tend to develop better manners. Lots of humble pie!!!
Separating all three cockerels, maybe permanently, would be good. Your pullets don't deserve this!
Free ranging can be good, but your comment about the mowed grass being the best area is all wrong. It's not normal chicken habitat, they like shade, shrubs, and tree cover, with the bugs and stuff in the ground below. It's also prime hawk hunting grounds, with no protection at all. Be ready to have some losses free ranging, it's part of the story.
Mary
Thank you for your feedback! I should have been more clear when I made the comment about the mowed grass...it is only partially mowed at any given time, I mow about one-third to a half at a time and leave the rest for the bees. We have tons of clover and I see honey bees in it frequently; in an effort to keep as many around as possible I do it in increments. We do also have lots of trees, big and small, bushes, buildings, gardens, plenty of places for the chickens to forage and find cover if necessary. We do also have a fair amount of hawks, I have done my best to prepare myself for the inevitable when they spend more time free ranging. I accept that it's a part of the cycle and a risk I'm willing to take...I continuously remind myself, that loss is part of it all.

My BCM male has gotten completely crazy in the last week with chasing and biting the back of a few of my pullets necks.
He is beautiful - In my experience roosters usually grow out of it in a short period of time (I may be wrong, but this is just what I've noticed). My old rooster only did it for a few weeks and then gave up I guess, after that he was really nice to the pullets, didn't touch them at all. Hope it's the same for you lol, I would also not want to cull a pretty rooster like that one.

I completely understand - currently have 7 cockerels, 4 old girls, 1 rooster, and 12 pullets...I think. Deciding who stays, who goes, how they are going IS flock management, and dang hard to do...I think I have changed my mind a 100 times.
The older birds, the amount of space I have, the summer time all allow me to cheat on the numbers... but the cockerels are approaching 3 months, and I am beginning to feel the tension rising.

This week-end my grandchildren (they are older) are coming. We are going to stay up late, and go down there and pull out at least half of the roosters. I am hoping to sell some breeding pairs... need pictures.

This is a fascinating hobby, but keep a flock of birds, not forever friends. The birds come in and go out of the flock. Come the fall, take a good count, access your true needs, and make that flock fit the coop/run that you have in your possession at that time.

Mrs K

I completely understand - currently have 7 cockerels, 4 old girls, 1 rooster, and 12 pullets...I think. Deciding who stays, who goes, how they are going IS flock management, and dang hard to do...I think I have changed my mind a 100 times.
The older birds, the amount of space I have, the summer time all allow me to cheat on the numbers... but the cockerels are approaching 3 months, and I am beginning to feel the tension rising.

This week-end my grandchildren (they are older) are coming. We are going to stay up late, and go down there and pull out at least half of the roosters. I am hoping to sell some breeding pairs... need pictures.

This is a fascinating hobby, but keep a flock of birds, not forever friends. The birds come in and go out of the flock. Come the fall, take a good count, access your true needs, and make that flock fit the coop/run that you have in your possession at that time.

Mrs K
That is wonderful advice and I am grateful for it.

Thank You for your insight! We do not have any children here, ours are all adults. No grandkids yet either, so we are safe on the kid front.
I know that 3 males was too many for the 15 pullets, when we ordered 2, it was basically in case one didn't live or work out. We ended up with 3 unintentionally and I was just hoping to get really lucky and have them all work out.
Our run is 30x8 (we will be expanding immediately after barn building project is over), and they were very happy until this Cockerel hit puberty. There are multiple feeding stations, waterers, grit bowls, and platform, ladders, tree branches...places to hide and/or get away.
I will separate the two males for now and wait to see how the other one does as he gets older. When we free range them (just for a few hours a day) do we still need to keep them apart or should that be a trial and error thing and separate if still necessary?
Having three seperate groups (each rooster with five hens) if you plan to free range can work well if you have the space and resources, and a lot of patience.
My view has in the past been if you have to remove a cockerel, or rooster from the group because of his behaviour towards the hens then that rooster doesn't go back. I wouldn't cage a couple of roosters on the off chance things improve.

Back
Top Bottom