Help! My three-day old chicks are not drinking their water.

Igloo

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
I just got my chicks yesterday, (they were hatched on the 5th of June at my local hatchery) sat them in their brooder, food and water set out. Grabbed EACH one and dipped their beaks inside the water source. They caught onto eating fairly quickly, yet, none of them-- even by day two, are drinking their water.

I am really concerned and was hoping someone could help me on this. All the chicks are and look healthy as far as I know, and have been peeping, jumping, and running everywhere with their siblings. What should do I do?

We brought chicks home 3 days ago, I have a waterer with the nipple valve and my chicks immediately used it. Maybe yours are used to one of these type of waterers? Good luck!

Have you added anything to the water, or is it plain water? If you have added anything to the water, you need to provide them with plain wAter too.

you can put some marbles in the waterer base. It keeps them from getting too wet in the water if they step in, or get pushed in, and prevents really young chicks from possible drowning, and attracts their attention.

you can move the waterer to see if location matters, however, if you are using a heat lamp and the water is getting heated up, you need to move it. Chickens do not like warm/hot water.

Have you added anything to the water, or is it plain water? If you have added anything to the water, you need to provide them with plain wAter too.

you can put some marbles in the waterer base. It keeps them from getting too wet in the water if they step in, or get pushed in, and prevents really young chicks from possible drowning, and attracts their attention.

you can move the waterer to see if location matters, however, if you are using a heat lamp and the water is getting heated up, you need to move it. Chickens do not like warm/hot water.

I have a mixture of ACV, raw honey, and minced up garlic in the water to create "Magic Water". I thought this will be what they will drink until maybe a week, then switch to plain water with vitamins and electrolytes in it. Did not know I had to provide plain water as well. Warm water isn't a problem for me either for I am not using a heat lamp.

I have a mixture of ACV, raw honey, and minced up garlic in the water to create "Magic Water". I thought this will be what they will drink until maybe a week, then switch to plain water with vitamins and electrolytes in it. Did not know I had to provide plain water as well. Warm water isn't a problem for me either for I am not using a heat lamp.

yes, any additives and you need to provide plain water too. That way they will choose what they need. When we provide chick electrolyte water and plain water, they go between them, but some chicks preferentially drink one over the other.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom