1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My Turkeys wattle is swole like a balloon!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MnRFarming, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MnRFarming

MnRFarming New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    Okeechobee Florida
    [​IMG]We went out for our night round of feeding and noticed my young Tom suddenly has a giant balloon size wattle. What happened? He's acting normal otherwise

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Look for ticks on him. Is there any bluish color to his wattles? Has the temperature ben below freezing there? Ticks can bite and inject a blood thinner that will cause swelling and bruising. Do you see any other symptoms of illness, such as comb swelling, nasal drainage, sneezing, or rattly breathing? Turkeys don't get coryza which can cause swollen wattles, but I think they can get fowl cholera which will cause it. I would also look at it being an injury, but look it over for any marks. A human12- 25 mg benadryl tablet given orally into the back of his throat could help swelling causes by a tick bite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by