HELP! My vet is out of town!! Lethargic, wheezing. Lost one last pm...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scarlet_Cowgirl, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Scarlet_Cowgirl

Scarlet_Cowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    So I am panicking!!!!! My girls are dropping like flies, and my vet is out of town...

About a week ago, I noticed that my one hen, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, was not quite herself, but she had a lice infestation and itwas super hot, so I thought it was just stress.... Up until Sunday, I knew for sure she was eating, and I saw her drinking yesterday morning and came home to find her dead under the nest boxes. It hasn't been that hot and I could see no obvious signs of distress.

Yesterday, my other black sex link, Tyra, seemed "off" not as active, not as bright. Checked her crop last night, it was full, Checked it this morning first thing, is was empty so eating is not a problem. Saw her drinking last night.

All of the girls are free range during the day, have layer pellets and grit.

Two days ago, I started them on Tylan due to my other chickens having a resp issue, but I can't imagine what, though the Tylan started helping right away...

No sneezing, discharge or other signs. Tyra did start wheezing this am, and was breathing hard last pm...this morning she is in the nest box and won't come out. Her comb is a normal color...still no discharge from her nose, eyes look bright....what the hell????????

I called my vet and he is out of town..... Have to go to work at 11, so I am pressed for time....Ideas???

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Did you treat for the lice?

What kind of temps are you having wherever you are?

The wheezing is key....same symptom as the others for whom you began the Tylan?

Did the vet's office recommend anyone else who could help?

I'm sorry - I hope others can plug in here - I am about to be tied up at work for hours......

JJ

3. Scarlet_Cowgirl

Jul 8, 2011
    Thank you so much for your reply! I did get the name of another chicken vet in the area, set up an appointment, and then went out to check on Tyra...well, she laid a pretty large egg, her breathing seemed back to normal and she was walking around with the other girls, foraging! So....egg bound? Well, not really bound but trouble passing it??

Her body weight was good and her crop was about 1/3 full (it was empty when I first checked on her).

My other chickens had a sneezing/snot/watery eye resp. inf. but they were slow to develop it and they seemed to have cleared it in the last day or so. I still have one that I might have to cull as she is just still looking weedy and unkempt but the other 4 seem great!

I put my original, mature flock on Tylan two days ago...well, three now...because I saw one of my RIRs scratching her nose. The chickas have been seperated but I am not 100% that I have been perfect in the biosecurity area so I figured treating was better than the wait and see approach!

Krista

4. Scarlet_Cowgirl

Jul 8, 2011
    Ok...so...Tyra is still off... eating and drinking but just not 100%. Her comb is not as bright. Is there anything else I can do??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by