Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.9%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.6%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 100 24.6%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 32 7.9%

• Total voters
Pics
I've kept chooks for about 40 years. i feed them all our left overs (no waste - they turn them into eggs) even spoiled stuff and dairy and their own egg shells. I assume they won't eat what isn't good for them - they've got brains. And they all die eventually, but as far as i can tell, of old age not poisoning or diarrhea. And any food-matter is good for our sandy soil. Virginia
Ditto... Its turning what would be trash into eggs. We mainly eat whole foods and fresh foods. So they dont get a ton of processed leftovers. But they go nuts for our leftovers. And i fix them a pan of stuff every morning and they are crazy at the gate when they see me coming with it.

Yeah, so chickens should really not be eating pizza. It's not nutritious. Normally the "table scraps" you are supposed to feed chickens is like lettuce and bananas.
While it may not be nutritious, like the guy said, it's a treat for once in awhile! We don't even give our hens a lot of any table scraps, but do only occasionally. Ours for example love pasta salad, spaghetti, and potato salad, but we only give those things now and then. They're very healthy, and everyone deserves some special treats once in awhile!:)

Oh my goodness hahaha!!!
Tell her not to worry!
It's basically bread, tomatoes and cheese.

All things you would normally feed your chickens anyway (maybe more likley yogurt instead of cheese!)
But hey! Who doesnt love pizza!?

My birds eat everything also, even lobster scraps a few times, fish after filleting ect

If it's not toxic, and they will eat it, we offer it to them:)

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
They can have pizza or special treats once in awhile! We don't make a habit of stuff like that either, but our girls love it when they get favs like pasta salad, spaghetti, potato salad, etc.! Um....I am more curious about the rug in the run! LOL! What's the story there???:lau

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
The owner of the market in my town saves all kinds of scraps that she gives me for my chickens - mostly veggies but sometimes a slice or two of pizza. The girls eat it all except for the celery - been doing this for years and hasn't killed any chickens yet. They do get a regular diet of high-grade pellets and scratch as well. I'm feeling a bit guilty that my flock doesn't have a carpeted run, however.

I wish I had an emoji of partying chickens...
I don't have a pic of partying chickens per se, but ours HATE the snow (we're in NH), and park on the porch for a hen party all day, pooping. Hubby just made this from a photo I took!!

140529118_3820948204618278_1220983797704935745_n.jpg

I've given some pizza to my chickens, but only pizza I made myself, and just a tiny little bit. I'm sure what you gave them won't kill them, but you shouldn't give so much in the future.
Same here. We NEVER get take-out pizza. I make my own---all kinds, and we give them a little bit of leftover now and then.

This prob wasn’t the best idea. I feed my chickens healthy table scraps-food that goes on the compost ( lettuce, tomatoes, vegetables basically) unless it’s moldy.

Back
Top Bottom