Help Need advice on baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terrilhb, Jan 24, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a chick that it's one leg won't straighten and does not walk on it. It is the right leg and when walking leans to the left. When laying down the leg protudes out does not lay on the right side only left. Here are some pics [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] It took this one to pip over 12 hrs. There is another but it is begining to use the leg. This one is worrying me.

2. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
  3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    The chick came out of the egg that way. I have another one that has it also. Both took over 12 hrs to get out. The other one is healing and gets around fine. This is my 1st hatch. I am so worried about it. I am going to put down paper towels.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    I once had luck doing "chick physical therapy" with a chick who hatched that way. I picked it up and flattened its toes out on my hand and held it that way for a few minutes. I did this many times daily and the chick gradually improved. Within 3 days, it was walking normally. Good luck!

5. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

This
    page has pictures of the boot to use on your chick. It's pretty easy. One of my chicks was hatched with this problem and now you wouldn't be able to pick out which one she is! Lots of chicks come out of the egg this way, or develop it just after hatching. You should do it ASAP while the bones are still really soft. Leave on for 5-7 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by