HELP Need advice on very young Cygnet

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by SouthernPride, May 8, 2017.

1. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Hello all. I've been given a cygnet to rehab. I've been told it is less than a week old, mute swan, still has egg tooth. It could not follow the momma so it was abandoned. I believe it has splayed leg because it cannot walk. I scoots around a little, usually in a circle to the right.

It will not eat or drink on it's own. When I put it's bill in water it usually shakes his head. I put him in very shallow water and he drank a bit on his own but still no food. Feeding it 19% protein, non medicated starter crumbles.

I've raised ducks and geese but never a swan. What can I do to help this guy survive? What is different about swans with their food and how they eat. Isn't it different than geese?

2. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Did the cygnet survive? I pray so. I hatched out 9. Ordered Mazuri Waterfowl pellets for the cygnets. The babies ate them from the water. From that hatch I have Gracie and Gunther now over 2 years old. I adore them. They use a 300 gallon trough during the day but have to be put in their house with Cygnets 4.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg run at night safe from predators. Water has to be changed at least once a week, often sooner. Lots of work but my Black Aussie swans are worth it.

eggbert420 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by